The Ghosts of Hiroshima - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
The Ghosts of Hiroshima
Location: UH Hilo Performing Arts Center
By Deborah Lubar with Diane Wickes Roose
Directed by Jackie Pualani Johnson
“…..just like shadows. The shock was so great they had lost words, they could not speak; everyone was very, very quiet. Even the children did not cry. Silence”. - Miss Shibama
The words of survivors of the bombing of Hiroshima are framed against the hard facts about nuclear weapons in this stirring theatrical consideration of the effects of the bomb dropped on Hiroshima on August 6, 1945, killing 146,000 people.
“When I look at children, I pledge that I must help to rid the world of nuclear weapons. Indeed, this is my only remaining wish.” - Miss Shibama
Images, words, science, and poetry interweave through the repercussions of the bombing, allowing all to understand the scale and impact of nuclear weaponry. The theatrical conventions of movement, dance, and masks allow the ideas to be considered in a startling, revealing manner.
The Performing Arts Department presents this landmark offering as an ode to the times and temperaments found in today’s global landscape. At the heart of the production is the consideration of the human costs of war.
Special Restrictions: Tickets are open seating $12 General, $10 Discount, $5 Students w/ Valid ID & Children 17 & under.
Call 932-7490 or order online at artscenter.uhh.hawaii.edu
For more information, contact: email@example.com (808) 932-7490
What's also happening?
|Week of November 20, 2016||Next →|
Holiday observed: Thanksgiving Day
- Board of Media Broadcasting Open Positions
- The UH Hilo Board of Media Broadcasting has two open positions for the 2017-2018 academic year. These positions will have an open application process until they are filled. ...
- UH Hilo RISO Registration is Now Open!
- The 2017-2018 academic year UH Hilo RISO registration period is now open. The final day to register will be April 20, 2018. Due to the transfer of the UH Hilo website to a new program we have lost the ability to edit our website. ...
- UH Hilo Mentoring Recognition Award!
- Having a great mentor is critical in student success and we'd like to know who has been your mentor here at UH Hilo. ...
- Free HIV and Hepatits C Testing
- Free HIV & Hepatitis C Testing Conducted by Hawaiʻi Island HIV/AIDS Foundation. Tesiting is Anonymous, Safe & Fast!
- What is ʻOpihi?
- ʻOpihi is UH Hilo’s brand for student retention and graduation. We communicate relevant information and possibilities to help students succeed and thrive at UH Hilo. Follow us on social media or regularly check our website (hilo.hawaii. ...
- Spring 2018 Legislative Internships
- Do you love politics? Have you ever wanted to learn firsthand about how laws are made? Internship opportunities in Hawaii State Senator Kai Kahele's Honolulu Office and Hawaii Senator Brian Schatz's Honolulu and Washington DC Offices. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.