The Ghosts of Hiroshima - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
The Ghosts of Hiroshima
Location: UH Hilo Performing Arts Center
By Deborah Lubar with Diane Wickes Roose
Directed by Jackie Pualani Johnson
“…..just like shadows. The shock was so great they had lost words, they could not speak; everyone was very, very quiet. Even the children did not cry. Silence”. - Miss Shibama
The words of survivors of the bombing of Hiroshima are framed against the hard facts about nuclear weapons in this stirring theatrical consideration of the effects of the bomb dropped on Hiroshima on August 6, 1945, killing 146,000 people.
“When I look at children, I pledge that I must help to rid the world of nuclear weapons. Indeed, this is my only remaining wish.” - Miss Shibama
Images, words, science, and poetry interweave through the repercussions of the bombing, allowing all to understand the scale and impact of nuclear weaponry. The theatrical conventions of movement, dance, and masks allow the ideas to be considered in a startling, revealing manner.
The Performing Arts Department presents this landmark offering as an ode to the times and temperaments found in today’s global landscape. At the heart of the production is the consideration of the human costs of war.
Special Restrictions: Tickets are open seating $12 General, $10 Discount, $5 Students w/ Valid ID & Children 17 & under.
Call 932-7490 or order online at artscenter.uhh.hawaii.edu
For more information, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org (808) 932-7490
What's also happening?
|Week of November 20, 2016||Next →|
Holiday observed: Thanksgiving Day
- APIA Scholarships
- UH Hilo undergraduate students of Native Hawaiian, Pacific Islander and Asian American backgrounds who are U.S. ...
- Break Thru Adventures (BTA) Participant Application Deadline
- Hey Vulcans! If any of you are interested in joining Break Thru Adventures as a participant remember that the final deadline to apply is January 14, 2019, with a priority deadline on November 16. ...
- All those INTERESTED in getting INVOLVED! Relay For Life is recruiting committee members! Relay For Life is the only all night event on campus during the Spring semester. ...
- Go Global: Aotearoa Summer 2019
- Kia Ora! Immerse yourself in Maori culture, practices and history while living and engaging with the local Maori community in North Island, New Zealand (Aotearoa). ...
- Go Global: India (भारत) Summer 2019
- Spend three weeks in India exploring and learning about the history and culture of the country with History Professor Michael Skinner while earning three upper division credits. ...
- 2019-20 UH Common Scholarship App Available October 1st
- The 2019-20 UH Common Scholarship Application will be available online as of October 1, 2018. Complete the application to apply for over 100 different scholarships available to students attending UH Hilo in Fall 2019. ...
- UH Hilo RISO Registration is Now Open!
- The 2018-2019 academic year UH Hilo Registered Independent Student Organization (RISO) registration period is now open. The final day to register will be April 19, 2019. ...
- What is ʻOpihi?
- ʻOpihi is UH Hilo's brand for student retention and graduation. We also communicate relevant information and possibilities to help students succeed and thrive at UH Hilo. Be sure to regularly out hilo.hawaii. ...
- Student Lingo Now Available!
- Student Lingo is a series of student success workshops for all UH Hilo students, available online and 24/7. ...
- 2019-20 FAFSA Available October 1st
- Effective October 1, 2018, students can complete their 2019-20 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at www.fafsa.gov. To receive priority consideration, complete your FAFSA by February 1, 2019. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.