Book Launch Celebration: Dr. Chris Lauer, Philosophy - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
Book Launch Celebration: Dr. Chris Lauer, Philosophy
Location: CC 301
On behalf of our student philosophy club, please attend the launch celebration of our own Chris Lauer's new book Intimacy: A Dialectical Study. After an informal grilling from me and the Philosophy Club, Chris will discuss what led him to write a book about the impossibility of intimacy and answer questions from the audience. The book is already drawing some rave reviews, some of which can be seen on the publisher's website, and which I've pasted below. Come be a part of Chris's introduction of his work to the local `ohana. Light pupus will be provided.
Date: Thursday, March 10
Time: 3:30 to 5:00
Location: Campus Center 301
“This is a masterful work of philosophy. Lauer artfully shows why dialectical thinking is relevant today, and he demonstrates what it looks like with respect to the issue of intimacy. Playful and unassuming, the scholarship is first-rate and wide-ranging in both scope and implications. The writing is fluid and purposeful. A must read for anyone interested in love, loss, community, and the stakes of contemporary philosophy.” – Jason Kemp Winfree, Professor of Philosophy, California State University, USA
“In a work that is both humble and profound, Christopher Lauer's dialectics uncovers intimacy's contradictions. Unraveling naïve, romantic and ironic notions alike, Intimacy testifies to the power and meaning of intimacy for human relationships, while ultimately arguing that intimacy cannot live up to its own demands.” – Marjolein Oele, Associate Professor of Philosophy, University of San Francisco, USA
“Chris Lauer cut his philosophical teeth on the rigors of German Idealism, especially Hegel and Schelling. He is also well-versed in contemporary Continental thought and has a profound sense of what is still living in German Idealism for contemporary thinking and living. It is with great pleasure that we now receive this "dialectical" account of intimacy (influenced by Hegel, Schelling, and critical theory, but not limited to them). Displaying impressive erudition, Lauer's new work is both strikingly original and a welcome new development in this venerable tradition.” – Jason M. Wirth, Professor of Philosophy, Seattle University, USA
For more information, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org (808) 932-7230
What's also happening?
|Week of March 6, 2016||Next →|
TBD Men's Golf
TBD Men's Golf
TBD Men's Golf
TBD Men's Basketball
- APIA Scholarships
- UH Hilo undergraduate students of Native Hawaiian, Pacific Islander and Asian American backgrounds who are U.S. ...
- Break Thru Adventures (BTA) Participant Application Deadline
- Hey Vulcans! If any of you are interested in joining Break Thru Adventures as a participant remember that the final deadline to apply is January 14, 2019, with a priority deadline on November 16. ...
- All those INTERESTED in getting INVOLVED! Relay For Life is recruiting committee members! Relay For Life is the only all night event on campus during the Spring semester. ...
- Go Global: Aotearoa Summer 2019
- Kia Ora! Immerse yourself in Maori culture, practices and history while living and engaging with the local Maori community in North Island, New Zealand (Aotearoa). ...
- Go Global: India (भारत) Summer 2019
- Spend three weeks in India exploring and learning about the history and culture of the country with History Professor Michael Skinner while earning three upper division credits. ...
- 2019-20 UH Common Scholarship App Available October 1st
- The 2019-20 UH Common Scholarship Application will be available online as of October 1, 2018. Complete the application to apply for over 100 different scholarships available to students attending UH Hilo in Fall 2019. ...
- UH Hilo RISO Registration is Now Open!
- The 2018-2019 academic year UH Hilo Registered Independent Student Organization (RISO) registration period is now open. The final day to register will be April 19, 2019. ...
- What is ʻOpihi?
- ʻOpihi is UH Hilo's brand for student retention and graduation. We also communicate relevant information and possibilities to help students succeed and thrive at UH Hilo. Be sure to regularly out hilo.hawaii. ...
- Student Lingo Now Available!
- Student Lingo is a series of student success workshops for all UH Hilo students, available online and 24/7. ...
- 2019-20 FAFSA Available October 1st
- Effective October 1, 2018, students can complete their 2019-20 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at www.fafsa.gov. To receive priority consideration, complete your FAFSA by February 1, 2019. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.