Book Launch Celebration: Dr. Chris Lauer, Philosophy - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
Book Launch Celebration: Dr. Chris Lauer, Philosophy
Location: CC 301
On behalf of our student philosophy club, please attend the launch celebration of our own Chris Lauer's new book Intimacy: A Dialectical Study. After an informal grilling from me and the Philosophy Club, Chris will discuss what led him to write a book about the impossibility of intimacy and answer questions from the audience. The book is already drawing some rave reviews, some of which can be seen on the publisher's website, and which I've pasted below. Come be a part of Chris's introduction of his work to the local `ohana. Light pupus will be provided.
Date: Thursday, March 10
Time: 3:30 to 5:00
Location: Campus Center 301
“This is a masterful work of philosophy. Lauer artfully shows why dialectical thinking is relevant today, and he demonstrates what it looks like with respect to the issue of intimacy. Playful and unassuming, the scholarship is first-rate and wide-ranging in both scope and implications. The writing is fluid and purposeful. A must read for anyone interested in love, loss, community, and the stakes of contemporary philosophy.” – Jason Kemp Winfree, Professor of Philosophy, California State University, USA
“In a work that is both humble and profound, Christopher Lauer's dialectics uncovers intimacy's contradictions. Unraveling naïve, romantic and ironic notions alike, Intimacy testifies to the power and meaning of intimacy for human relationships, while ultimately arguing that intimacy cannot live up to its own demands.” – Marjolein Oele, Associate Professor of Philosophy, University of San Francisco, USA
“Chris Lauer cut his philosophical teeth on the rigors of German Idealism, especially Hegel and Schelling. He is also well-versed in contemporary Continental thought and has a profound sense of what is still living in German Idealism for contemporary thinking and living. It is with great pleasure that we now receive this "dialectical" account of intimacy (influenced by Hegel, Schelling, and critical theory, but not limited to them). Displaying impressive erudition, Lauer's new work is both strikingly original and a welcome new development in this venerable tradition.” – Jason M. Wirth, Professor of Philosophy, Seattle University, USA
For more information, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org (808) 932-7230
What's also happening?
|Week of March 6, 2016||Next →|
TBD Men's Golf
TBD Men's Golf
TBD Men's Golf
TBD Men's Basketball
- Freshmen 'Eleu (Mandatory Advising)
- Freshmen, your advisor will be sending you an email to set up an appointment to meet with him or her. Please check your email!
- Study Abroad Applications due October 1st
- Explore the world and earn college credit. If you are considering studying abroad for the Fall 2019 or the 2019-20 academic year, you need to submit your application by October 1, 2018. Applications are available at: hilo.hawaii. ...
- Vulcan Video Productions ( VVP) is looking for new members!
- Aloha! Vulcan Video Productions (VVP) is looking for new members for the 2018-19 academic year. If you have some media based background, the following positions are available: Promotions Manager, Technology Manager, and Productions Manager. ...
- Break Thru Adventures (BTA) Leader Application Deadline
- Hey Vulcans! If any of you are interested in joining Break Thru Adventures as a Leader remember that the deadline to apply is October 5, 2018. ...
- Hilo Vet Center @ Campus Center for Outreach Services
- Maricar S. Souza, Veteran Outreach Specialist, from the Hilo Vet Center will be located at the Campus Center Plaza for Fall 2018 from 9 am - 2 pm on the following dates: October 9 October 30 November 13 November 27 December 4 You may ...
- Students of Hawaii Advanced Research Project (SHARP)
- Interested in biomedical or biobehavioral research? Join our Students of Hawai‘i Advanced Research Project team. Go to www.uhhilo-SHARP.org to discover how to get paid while learning.
- 4th Annual Domestic Violence Summit
- Hawaii Community College and the University of Hawai‘i at Hilo will host the 4th Annual Domestic Violence Summit with college students as the focus. The summit is on Friday, October 19, 2018 at ʻImiloa Astronomy Center from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. ...
- Pre-Law Club is looking for new members
- Awesome and active club for future attorneys or law officers. Contact club President Harley Broyles at email@example.com to join or for more information.
- Fill out a sustainability survey, win $50
- Aloha, Come fill out a short survey on sustainability and enter a drawing for $50. The survey is for research being done at UH Hilo in cooperation with Appalachian State University. ...
- Love Yourself: Body Wellness and ED Support Group
- Counseling Services is hosting a support group for students with body image concerns called "Love Yourself: Body Wellness and Eating Disorders. ...
- APIA Scholarships
- UH Hilo undergraduate students of Native Hawaiian, Pacific Islander and Asian American backgrounds who are U.S. ...
- Break Thru Adventures (BTA) Participant Application Deadline
- Hey Vulcans! If any of you are interested in joining Break Thru Adventures as a participant remember that the final deadline to apply is January 14, 2019, with a priority deadline on November 16. ...
- UH Hilo RISO Registration is Now Open!
- The 2018-2019 academic year UH Hilo RISO registration period is now open. The final day to register will be April 19, 2019. For the registration pack and information regard UH Hilo clubs please visit our website. hilo.hawaii. ...
- What is ʻOpihi?
- ʻOpihi is UH Hilo's brand for student retention and graduation. We also communicate relevant information and possibilities to help students succeed and thrive at UH Hilo. Be sure to regularly out hilo.hawaii. ...
- Student Lingo Now Available!
- Student Lingo is a series of student success workshops for all UH Hilo students, available online and 24/7. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.