Kīlauea Volcano's East Rift and summit eruptions: 2015 review - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
Kīlauea Volcano's East Rift and summit eruptions: 2015 review
Location: UCB 100
Kīlauea Volcano's East Rift and summit eruptions: Events of the past year
Free Public Talk for Volcano Awareness Month
Kīlauea has been erupting nearly continuously since 1983, when a vent, now called Pu‘u ‘Ō‘ō, opened on the volcano’s East Rift Zone. Then, in 2008, a second vent opened at the summit of Kīlauea within Halema‘uma‘u Crater.
Both eruptions continue today. Join Matt Patrick, a geologist with the USGS Hawaiian Volcano Observatory, as he briefly describes the history of these two eruptions and provides in-depth accounts of volcanic activity during the past year, including the ongoing East Rift Zone lava flow that threatened the community of Pāhoa until March 2015 and the overflow of the summit lava lake in April-May 2015.
A printable flyer of the event can be found at hvo.wr.usgs.gov/archive/2016VAMTalks_UHH.pdf
For more information, contact: askHVO@usgs.gov (808) 967-8844
What's also happening?
Week of January 3, 2016Next →
- UH Hilo RISO Registration is Now Open!
- The 2018-2019 academic year UH Hilo Registered Independent Student Organization (RISO) registration period is now open. The final day to register will be April 19, 2019. ...
- What is ʻOpihi?
- ʻOpihi is UH Hilo's brand for student retention and graduation. We also communicate relevant information and possibilities to help students succeed and thrive at UH Hilo. Be sure to regularly out hilo.hawaii. ...
- Student Lingo Now Available!
- Student Lingo is a series of student success workshops for all UH Hilo students, available online and 24/7. ...
- 2019-20 FAFSA Available October 1st
- Effective October 1, 2018, students can complete their 2019-20 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at www.fafsa.gov. To receive priority consideration, complete your FAFSA by February 1, 2019. ...
- 4th Annual HIplan Business Plan Competition Submissions Open
- This business plan competition is open to individuals or groups (for-profit or non-profit) whose business plan focuses on developing startup or expanding a business based on Hawaii Island. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.