Exploring our Universe with Thirty Meter Telescope - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
Exploring our Universe with Thirty Meter Telescope
Location: 'Imiloa Astronomy Center
What is the scientific potential of the proposed Thirty Meter Telescope (TMT) on Maunakea? Join Dr. Christophe Dumas of TMT International Observatory for a look beyond exploring our Universe with TMT.
TMT will use state-of-the-art technology, combining adaptive-optics systems with powerful imaging and spectroscopic analysis of the light emitted by astronomical bodies, to explore Northern skies at a dramatically enhanced sensitivity and spatial resolution across many wavelength regimes. This sharpened vision will shed new lights on the processes involved in the formation and evolution of the Universe, and its visible and hidden nature.
Currently the Observatory Scientist for the Thirty Meter Telescope International Observatory, Dr. Dumas will serve as Head of its future operations. Prior to this appointment, he was in charge of the scientific operations of the European Southern Observatory Very Large Telescope (also known as ‘Paranal Observatory’), the largest worldwide optical observatory, based in the Atacama desert of Northern Chile. He also worked for many years at the NASA-Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California, as mission scientist for various space-mission concepts such as the Terrestrial Planet Finder and Astrobiology Explorer.
‘Imiloa Astronomy Center of Hawai‘i is located at 600 ‘Imiloa Place in Hilo, off Komohana and Nowelo Streets at the UH Hilo Science and Technology Park.
Special Restrictions: $8 for members, $10 for non-members
For more information, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org (808) 969-9703
What's also happening?
Week of November 15, 2015Next →
TBD Men's Soccer
TBD Women's Soccer
- What is ʻOpihi?
- ʻOpihi is UH Hilo's brand for student retention and graduation. We also communicate relevant information and possibilities to help students succeed and thrive at UH Hilo. Be sure to regularly out hilo.hawaii. ...
- Student Lingo Now Available!
- Student Lingo is a series of student success workshops for all UH Hilo students, available online and 24/7. ...
- 2019-20 FAFSA Available October 1st
- Effective October 1, 2018, students can complete their 2019-20 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at www.fafsa.gov. To receive priority consideration, complete your FAFSA by February 1, 2019. ...
- 4th Annual HIplan Business Plan Competition Submissions Open
- This business plan competition is open to individuals or groups (for-profit or non-profit) whose business plan focuses on developing startup or expanding a business based on Hawaii Island. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.