Exploring our Universe with Thirty Meter Telescope - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
Exploring our Universe with Thirty Meter Telescope
Location: 'Imiloa Astronomy Center
What is the scientific potential of the proposed Thirty Meter Telescope (TMT) on Maunakea? Join Dr. Christophe Dumas of TMT International Observatory for a look beyond exploring our Universe with TMT.
TMT will use state-of-the-art technology, combining adaptive-optics systems with powerful imaging and spectroscopic analysis of the light emitted by astronomical bodies, to explore Northern skies at a dramatically enhanced sensitivity and spatial resolution across many wavelength regimes. This sharpened vision will shed new lights on the processes involved in the formation and evolution of the Universe, and its visible and hidden nature.
Currently the Observatory Scientist for the Thirty Meter Telescope International Observatory, Dr. Dumas will serve as Head of its future operations. Prior to this appointment, he was in charge of the scientific operations of the European Southern Observatory Very Large Telescope (also known as ‘Paranal Observatory’), the largest worldwide optical observatory, based in the Atacama desert of Northern Chile. He also worked for many years at the NASA-Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California, as mission scientist for various space-mission concepts such as the Terrestrial Planet Finder and Astrobiology Explorer.
‘Imiloa Astronomy Center of Hawai‘i is located at 600 ‘Imiloa Place in Hilo, off Komohana and Nowelo Streets at the UH Hilo Science and Technology Park.
Special Restrictions: $8 for members, $10 for non-members
For more information, contact: email@example.com (808) 969-9703
What's also happening?
|Week of November 15, 2015||Next →|
TBD Men's Soccer
TBD Women's Soccer
- 4th Annual Domestic Violence Summit
- Hawaii Community College and the University of Hawai‘i at Hilo will host the 4th Annual Domestic Violence Summit with college students as the focus. The summit is on Friday, October 19, 2018 at ʻImiloa Astronomy Center from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. ...
- Pre-Law Club is looking for new members
- Awesome and active club for future attorneys or law officers. Contact club President Harley Broyles at firstname.lastname@example.org to join or for more information.
- Fill out a sustainability survey, win $50
- Aloha, Come fill out a short survey on sustainability and enter a drawing for $50. The survey is for research being done at UH Hilo in cooperation with Appalachian State University. ...
- Campus & Community Service Fall Food Drive
- From October 29 - November 14, 2018, the Campus and Community Service program will be hosting our Fall Food Drive. We ask you to please help those in need by donating non-perishable food that we can donate to the Hawaii Island Food Basket. ...
- Critical Language Scholarship Available
- The Summer 2019 Critical Language Scholarship application is now available. Spend 8-to-10 weeks abroad during the summer learning Azerbaijani, Bangla, Hindi, Indonesian, Korean, Punjabi, Swahili, Turkish, Urdu, Arabic, Persian, Chinese, ...
- Love Yourself: Body Wellness and ED Support Group
- Counseling Services is hosting a support group for students with body image concerns called "Love Yourself: Body Wellness and Eating Disorders. ...
- Go Global: France Summer 2019
- Spend your summer participating in an INTENSIVE 4-week program taught in English through ESSCA: School of Management. ...
- APIA Scholarships
- UH Hilo undergraduate students of Native Hawaiian, Pacific Islander and Asian American backgrounds who are U.S. ...
- Break Thru Adventures (BTA) Participant Application Deadline
- Hey Vulcans! If any of you are interested in joining Break Thru Adventures as a participant remember that the final deadline to apply is January 14, 2019, with a priority deadline on November 16. ...
- 2019-20 UH Common Scholarship App Available October 1st
- The 2019-20 UH Common Scholarship Application will be available online as of October 1, 2018. Complete the application to apply for over 100 different scholarships available to students attending UH Hilo in Fall 2019. ...
- UH Hilo RISO Registration is Now Open!
- The 2018-2019 academic year UH Hilo RISO registration period is now open. The final day to register will be April 19, 2019. For the registration pack and information regard UH Hilo clubs please visit our website. hilo.hawaii. ...
- What is ʻOpihi?
- ʻOpihi is UH Hilo's brand for student retention and graduation. We also communicate relevant information and possibilities to help students succeed and thrive at UH Hilo. Be sure to regularly out hilo.hawaii. ...
- Student Lingo Now Available!
- Student Lingo is a series of student success workshops for all UH Hilo students, available online and 24/7. ...
- 2019-20 FAFSA Available October 1st
- Effective October 1, 2018, students can complete their 2019-20 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at www.fafsa.gov. To receive priority consideration, complete your FAFSA by February 1, 2019. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.