"Is Science a Meritocracy?: Issues of Diversity and Equity" - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
"Is Science a Meritocracy?: Issues of Diversity and Equity"
Location: Science & Technology Building, Room 108
Join the UH Hilo Physics and Astronomy program for a presentation on diversity and equity in the sciences. October 23, 7pm in STB-108 by Kathy Cooksey, assistant professor in astronomy.
The gradual attrition of students at all stages on the path to a science-related career is commonly called the "leaky science pipeline." Certain gender and/or racial groups leak out faster at any or all stages. These are called under-represented minorities (URMs) because their demographics in science-related professions do not reflect the national profile. In this presentation, the demographics of scientists in various fields will be presented. The common issues proven to adversely affect certain groups-stereotype threat, impostor syndrome, implicit bias-will be described. Research-based suggestions to combat the adversity will be given.
Kathy Cooksey, an assistant professor in astronomy, received her PhD in 2009 from UC Santa Cruz and was an NSF postdoctoral fellow at MIT until starting at UH Hilo in January 2014; both institutions enabled her to learn about science pedagogy and practice teaching. She researches the large-scale gaseous structure in the universe to understand how various elements cycle in and out of galaxies, over cosmic time. As for hobbies, she enjoys soccer, hiking, and camping (and crocheting and watching anime, on the sedentary side).
For more information, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org 808-932-7187
What's also happening?
|Week of October 19, 2014||Next →|
- UH Hilo Student Association Seeks CAFNRM, KHʻUOK Senators
- Are you interested in leadership? UHHSA currently has two vacant positions open for the College of Agriculture, Forestry & Natural Resource Management Senator and Ka Haka ʻUla O Keʻelikōlani College of Hawaiian Language Senator. ...
- Freshmen 'Eleu (Mandatory Advising)
- Freshmen, your advisor will be sending you an email to set up an appointment to meet with him or her. Please check your email!
- Study Abroad Applications due October 1st
- Explore the world and earn college credit. If you are considering studying abroad for the Fall 2019 or the 2019-20 academic year, you need to submit your application by October 1, 2018. Applications are available at: hilo.hawaii. ...
- Vulcan Video Productions ( VVP) is looking for new members!
- Aloha! Vulcan Video Productions (VVP) is looking for new members for the 2018-19 academic year. If you have some media based background, the following positions are available: Promotions Manager, Technology Manager, and Productions Manager. ...
- Break Thru Adventures (BTA) Leader Application Deadline
- Hey Vulcans! If any of you are interested in joining Break Thru Adventures as a Leader remember that the deadline to apply is October 5, 2018. ...
- Hilo Vet Center @ Campus Center for Outreach Services
- Maricar S. Souza, Veteran Outreach Specialist, from the Hilo Vet Center will be located at the Campus Center Plaza for Fall 2018 from 9 am - 2 pm on the following dates: October 9 October 30 November 13 November 27 December 4 You may ...
- Students of Hawaii Advanced Research Project (SHARP)
- Interested in biomedical or biobehavioral research? Join our Students of Hawai‘i Advanced Research Project team. Go to www.uhhilo-SHARP.org to discover how to get paid while learning.
- Pre-Law Club is looking for new members
- Awesome and active club for future attorneys or law officers. Contact club President Harley Broyles at email@example.com to join or for more information.
- APIA Scholarships
- UH Hilo undergraduate students of Native Hawaiian, Pacific Islander and Asian American backgrounds who are U.S. ...
- Break Thru Adventures (BTA) Participant Application Deadline
- Hey Vulcans! If any of you are interested in joining Break Thru Adventures as a participant remember that the final deadline to apply is January 14, 2019, with a priority deadline on November 16. ...
- UH Hilo RISO Registration is Now Open!
- The 2018-2019 academic year UH Hilo RISO registration period is now open. The final day to register will be April 19, 2019. For the registration pack and information regard UH Hilo clubs please visit our website. hilo.hawaii. ...
- What is ʻOpihi?
- ʻOpihi is UH Hilo's brand for student retention and graduation. We also communicate relevant information and possibilities to help students succeed and thrive at UH Hilo. Be sure to regularly out hilo.hawaii. ...
- Student Lingo Now Available!
- Student Lingo is a series of student success workshops for all UH Hilo students, available online and 24/7. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.