UH Hilo Interim Chancellor Marcia Sakai: The new College of Natural and Health Sciences will be established, effective July 1, 2018.
Marcia Sakai, interim chancellor at the University of Hawai‘i at Hilo, gave an update today to faculty and staff on the reorganization of the College of Arts and Sciences. The meeting was held at 12:00 noon at the Sciences and Technology Building, room 108.
In the PowerPoint presentation at the meeting, the following points were made:
College of Natural & Health Sciences
- The new College of Natural and Health Sciences will be established, effective July 1, 2018.
- It will be composed of the current Division of Natural Sciences, School of Nursing, and Department of Kinesiology and Exercise Sciences.
College of Arts and Sciences
- Effective July 1, 2018, the College of Arts and Sciences will continue forward with its remaining departments in the current division structure, retaining the Division of Humanities and the Division of Social Sciences.
- Departments and faculty positions within these divisions will remain status quo, with the exception of the two departments joining the new College of Natural and Health Sciences.
- Clerical support staff within the current Division of Natural Sciences will become support staff for the new College of Natural and Health Sciences.
- Clerical support staff remaining with the College of Arts and Sciences will be maintained in their current structure.
- Specific details will be shared, as appropriate, as discussions advance with HGEA and affected employees.
- Consistent with messaging for the last 12 months, APT and other support staff contained within departments will be retained with those departments with no changes to their positions or assignments.
- In addition, we will be adding two APT Administrative Officer positions, one per college, to provide administrative and budget support for the deans and departments.
- This Spring, the transition team with the College of Natural and Health Sciences should finalize its tasks, which include working on a department and college tenure and promotion process, voting procedures, and other department processes.
- In addition, we are in the process to appoint an Interim Dean for CNHS.
- In the College of Arts and Sciences, the transition team should consider whether college, division and department policies and processes, such as promotion and tenure, require revision in order for revisions to be finalized by July 1, 2018.
Attendees at the meeting listening and asking questions, click to enlarge:
This post was originally published on the UH Hilo Chancellor’s Blog, Jan 19, 2018.