All 12 UH Hilo athletic teams had students honored.
The University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo honored 48 Vulcans who earned a 3.3 accumulative grade point average or higher at the first Student-Athlete Academic Honors Reception on April 27.
All 12 UH Hilo athletic teams had students honored. The women’s soccer team had the highest number of players honored—11. The softball team was next with nine.
UH Hilo Athletic Director Patrick Guillen was extremely proud of his student-athletes. “Our students are sometimes gone for up to two weeks at a time. It takes great discipline and organization to excel in the classroom like they do.”
UH Hilo coaches, athletic staff, faculty members and college deans attended the event. The student-athletes were encouraged to invite their favorite professor to help celebrate their achievements.
“Carrying a high GPA and playing an NCAA sport is very difficult to do,” Chancellor Donald Straney told the scholar-athletes. “It is great to see the support of the faculty here tonight. Their presence should remind you that you are not alone in this journey, you have faculty, staff and coaches supporting you.”
The inaugural event was the brainchild of Senior Woman Administrator and Compliance Officer Roxanne Levenson. “This will be an annual event. It is important to honor our scholar-athletes who are excelling in the classroom.”
- Baseball—Micah Carter, Austin Inouye, Phillip Steering, Dylan Sugimoto.
- Men’s basketball—Brian Ishola.
- Men’s Golf—Taylor Patrick.
- Men’s Soccer—Daniel Baumgartner, Andrew Dawrs, Trenton Hooper, Kyran Johal.
- Men’s Tennis—Ryuta Ogawa, Vaclav Slezak, Gregory Zukeran.
- Women’s basketball—Sharlei Graham-Bernisto, Lauren Hong, Sydney Mercer, Kimberly Schmelz.
- Softball—Briauna Carter, Toshonnie Baker, Billi Derleth, Cyanne Fernandez, Kristen Ishii, Brinell Kaleikini, Jordan Millwood, Danielle Pulido, Maria Steadmon.
- Women’s golf—Andi Igawa, Keely Kitamura.
- Women’s soccer—Keani Shirai, Alexa Smiley, Abcde Zoller, Kailah Buchanan, Terra Carden, Bryana-Marie Ebbers, Madison Gates, Annabel Gonzalez, Meghan Langbehn, Nicole Ramirez, Sophia Satterlee.
- Women’s tennis—Anne Carsey.
- Volleyball—Trixie Croad, Siera Green, Taylor Madrid, Haylee Roberts, Marley Strand-Nicolaisen, Kyndra Trevino-Scott.
- Cross Country—Cheyana Crossman, Anna Baker Mikkelsen.
For more, read the full story on the UH Hilo Vulcans website.