Skip to content

Senior College at UH Hilo renamed

UH Hilo Home > News and Events > UH Hilo Press Releases

Date: Wednesday, April 6, 2005
Contact: Alyson Kakugawa-Leong, (808) 974-7642

For Immediate Release

The Senior College at the University of Hawaii at Hilo has been renamed the Osher Lifelong Learning Institute (OLLI) at the University of Hawai‘i at Hilo.

In May 2004, UH Hilo was one of 48 institutions of higher education to receive a $100,000 grant from the Bernard Osher Foundation to fund the development of courses and programs for adult learners. The new name connects UH Hilo’s program to its benefactor, the Bernard Osher Foundation and to its sister programs at schools at universities throughout the nation, which now number 61 and continue to increase.

“A name change is essential,” says Dr. Margaret Haig, dean of UH Hilo’s College of Continuing Education and Community Service, whose office administers the grant she authored. “There are now OLLI programs from Maine to Hawai‘i, and we are a part of this expanding network. We are currently publishing brochures, schedules of classes and creating a Web site, which will all carry the OLLI name.”

The mission of OLLI is to provide intellectually and socially enriching classes to diverse communities of lifelong learners at various locations islandwide, with a focus on those 45 years old and over. In Spring 2005, OLLI offered courses ranging from golf and mahjong lessons to Hawaiiana and ‘ukulele classes, as well as a zoo docent training series and a seminar on Kilauea’s gas emissions. There are no tests, grades, or papers – just learning for pure enjoyment, personal growth and intellectual stimulation. These non-credit courses and programs are taught by active and retired UH faculty and a wide range of talented community members.

Call (808) 974-7664 for more information.

Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that are not of the "" or "" domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.