Skip to content

B.A. in Health and Physical Education established at UH Hilo

UH Hilo Home > News and Events > UH Hilo Press Releases

Date: Friday, June 28, 2002
Contact: Dr. Christopher Lu, (808) 974-7707

For Immediate Release

The University of Hawai'i Board of Regents (BOR) approved the establishment of a bachelor of arts degree in health and physical education (HPE) in the College of Arts and Sciences at the University of Hawai`i at Hilo, effective fall 2002. The announcement was made at the Board's monthly meeting held June 21, 2002 at Windward Community College.

"The major will prepare students for recreation-related careers and for entry into post-baccalaureate teacher education programs," said Dr. Christopher Lu, UH Hilo vice chancellor for academic affairs.

In addition to meeting the guidelines established by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education, the HPE curriculum has been designed to conform to specific content and performance standards established by the Hawai'i State Department of Education.

"Demand for such a program has been sustained and healthy," said Lu. "Over the past five years, enrollment in HPE courses has averaged 25 students, and we anticipate 30 to 40 majors once the program is fully implemented. "The program will enable Big Island students, in particular, to earn their degrees and prepare for the UH Hilo post-baccalaureate teacher education program without having to leave home."

In other business, the BOR authorized the renaming of the Institute for Astronomy Building at UH Hilo's University Park of Science and Technology. The building's new name is Kukahau'ula, the traditional name of Mauna Kea's highest peak. The BOR designated the functions of the building as the University of Hawai'i Institute for Astronomy and the Mauna Kea Operations Center.

For more information, contact Lu at (808) 974-7707 or">

Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that are not of the "" or "" domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.