Kilohana emphasizes support for historically challenging classes (those classes that many students find especially challenging) and gateway courses (those that are essential for multiple majors), and offers tutoring for a wide range of subjects.
Kilohana's primary mission involves tutors helping students to become independent and self-motivated learners who will eventually be able to do their work without a tutor by their side.
The UH Hilo Student Conduct Code is in effect at all times in all Kilohana Centers and Kilohana sponsored events.
All tutoring is free and operates on a walk-in (first-come, first-served) basis; click on the subject below for a detailed schedule.
In the spring and fall semesters, tutoring begins the second week of the semester and ends the last week of instruction. Please note that tutoring is not available during final exam week (so our student employees can study for their final exams) and regularly scheduled school holidays and breaks during and between semesters.
If funds and staffing permit, Summer tutoring begins on the first day of classes.
Please click on the appropriate link below for a more detailed scheduling of tutoring times.
Tip: After you click on the subject below, a Google Calendar will open. There, you can change the tab on the upper right-hand side to view the week or month; you can also search for a specific day's tutoring schedule.
- Chemistry/Biology (STB 117; see note below for Saturday tutoring information)
- Marine Science (STB 117)
- Math (CH 5 daytime hours and Library 123 from 4:00 to 7:00 p. m.; see note below for Saturday tutoring information)
- Physics/Astronomy (STB 117)
- Statistics (Note change in location for Statistics tutoring to Library 123 effective Monday, March 9 through the end of spring 2015 semester.)
- Writing (Library 123; see note below for Saturday tutoring information)
NOTE: Spring 2015 Saturday Hours of operation will be 11:00 am to 3:00 pm in the Writing Center location on the first floor of the Mookini Library. There will be tutors available for Chemistry/Biology, Math, and Writing.
Saturday hours will begin January 31, 2015.