How to Apply for Financial Aid
To be considered for financial aid you must complete the 2014-2015 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). On the FAFSA, you should list the University of Hawaii at Hilo (UH Hilo), Federal School Code number 001611, as one of the schools to receive your information. You are strongly encouraged to complete the FAFSA online at www.fafsa.gov. UH Hilo will receive your data electronically and we will then be able to calculate your financial aid award. The priority filing date (submitted to the federal processor) is March 1, 2014. Please be aware that grant funds are limited and expended quickly. File your FAFSA on time (by the priority deadline) to ensure full consideration.
Upon receipt of the FAFSA results, the Financial Aid Office will determine your financial aid eligibility. If additional information is required from you, you will be notified at that time. You must also be admitted to the university as a classified, degree-seeking student before your application will be processed. Upon awarding, you will receive a notification instructing you to review the award via the MyUH Portal (https://myuh.hawaii.edu) and accept or decline within three weeks of the date of that notice. (Please note that if you are awarded any type of grant, those will be automatically accepted for you. You must submit a decision on any loans and/or work-study offered to you.) In addition, other documents (needed for disbursement of funds) may be requested from you at that time.
General Financial Aid Information
- Steps Necessary to Receive a Financial Aid Award
- Applicants Selected for Verification
- Financial Aid Award Calculation
- Financial Aid Programs
- Scholarship Opportunities
- Loan Counseling & Loan Information
- Receiving Your Financial Aid
- Outside Financial Aid Assistance
- Determination of Enrollment Status
- Definition of an Academic Year for Financial Aid Purposes
- Revising Your Financial Aid
- Financial Aid and Tax Issues
- Financial Aid Appeal Procedure
- Study Abroad
- Other Information
Satisfactory Academic Progress
- Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy
- University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo Life Skills Instructions for Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeal (pdf)
- Withdrawing from Classes: Official and Unofficial Withdrawals
- University of Hawaii System Common Scholarship Application UH Hilo students are able to apply for both University of Hawaii System scholarships as well as UH Hilo scholarships on ONE application. The University of Hawaii System Common Scholarship Application will be available beginning December 1, 2013. The deadline to apply for these scholarships will be March 1, 2014. The application is available online by clicking the link above.
- Estimated 2014-2015 Cost of Attendance Budget
- Estimated 2014-2015 Cost of Attendance Budget - College of Pharmacy
- Verification Worksheet 2014-2015 (form fillable)
- Household Resources Verification Worksheet 2014-2015 (form fillable)
- Child Support Paid/SNAP Benefit Verification 2014-2015 (form fillable)
- Eligibility Status Verification 2014-2015 (form fillable)
- Unusual Enrollment History Form 2014-2015 (form fillable)
- State Higher Education Loan (SHEL) Master Promissory Note 2014-2015 (form fillable)
- Private Education Loan Applicant Self-Certification Form (form fillable)
- University of Hawaii at Hilo Prior Authorization for Transfer Credit for Financial Aid Form (form fillable)
- High School Completion or Equivalent Verification Form (form fillable)
Net Price Calculator
What will it cost to attend UH Hilo? Prospective and current students and their families can use the
Net Price Calculator to calculate an estimated cost of attendance.
Financial Aid Links
How are we doing? Financial Aid Services Survey
Please print, complete and submit our Financial Aid Survey to let us know how we're doing.
How To Contact Us
We have seven full-time staff members that will be happy to assist you.
Student Information System
The University of Hawaii at Hilo uses Banner by Ellucian to process student records.