How to Apply for Financial Aid
To be considered for financial aid you must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). On the FAFSA, you should list the University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo (UH Hilo), code number
001611, as one of the schools to receive your information. You are strongly encouraged to complete the FAFSA via the Internet. The address is www.fafsa.gov. UH Hilo will receive your data electronically and we will then be able to calculate your financial aid award. The priority filing date (submitted to the federal processor) is March 1. Remember, grant funds are limited and expended quickly. File on time to ensure full consideration.
Also, you must be accepted for admission to the university before a financial aid award can be issued.
Upon receipt of the FAFSA results in the Financial Aid Office, a financial aid award letter will be sent to you. You must review the award via the MyUH Portal and accept or decline the award within three weeks of the date of the notice. In addition, other documents may be requested from you at that time. The MyUH Portal site is https://myuh.hawaii.edu
Applicants Selected For Verification
Your application for Federal student aid may be selected for a process known as verification. This means that the Financial Aid Office must verify the accuracy of the information that you submit on the FAFSA. If selected, you must submit a verification worksheet, federal tax returns, and/or other supporting documents. Until your information has been verified, a financial aid award cannot be issued to you.
You will be notified in writing if you have been selected for verification. You will normally have 60 days to submit the required verification documents. Failure to submit the verification documents will result in your financial aid file being closed and no award being issued. If any of the data reported on the FAFSA is found to be incorrect, your financial aid eligibility will be recalculated.
General Financial Aid Information
- Steps Necessary to Receive a Financial Aid Award
- Applicants Selected for Verification
- Financial Aid Award Calculation
- Financial Aid Programs
- Scholarship Opportunities
- Loan Counseling & Loan Information
- Receiving Your Financial Aid
- Outside Financial Aid Assistance
- Determination of Enrollment Status
- Definition of an Academic Year for Financial Aid Purposes
- Revising Your Financial Aid
- Financial Aid and Tax Issues
- Financial Aid Appeal Procedure
- Study Abroad
- Other Information
Satisfactory Academic Progress
- Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy
- University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo Life Skills Instructions for Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeal (pdf)
- Withdrawing from Classes: Official and Unofficial Withdrawals
- University of Hawaii System Common Scholarship Application UH Hilo students are able to apply for both University of Hawaii System scholarships as well as UH Hilo scholarships on ONE application. The University of Hawaii System Common Scholarship Application will be available beginning December 1, 2013. The deadline to apply for these scholarships will be March 1, 2014. The application is available online by clicking the link above.
- Estimated 2014-2015 Cost of Attendance Budget
- Estimated 2014-2015 Cost of Attendance Budget - College of Pharmacy
- Verification Worksheet 2014-2015 (form fillable)
- Household Resources Verification Worksheet 2014-2015 (form fillable)
- Child Support Paid/SNAP Benefit Verification 2014-2015 (form fillable)
- Eligibility Status Verification 2014-2015 (form fillable)
- Unusual Enrollment History Form 2014-2015 (form fillable)
- Federal Perkins Loan Master Promissory Note (form fillable)
- State Higher Education Loan (SHEL) Master Promissory Note 2014-2015 (form fillable)
- Private Education Loan Applicant Self-Certification Form (form fillable)
- University of Hawaii at Hilo Prior Authorization for Transfer Credit for Financial Aid Form (form fillable)
- Verification Worksheet 2013-2014
- SNAP (Food Stamp) Benefit Verification 2013-2014
- Child Support Paid Verification 2013-2014
- Eligibility Status Verification 2013-2014
- Unusual Enrollment History Form 2013-2014
- Federal Perkins Loan Master Promissory Note
- State Higher Education Loan (SHEL) Master Promissory Note 2013-2014
- Private Education Loan Applicant Self-Certification Form
- University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo Prior Authorization for Transfer Credit for Financial Aid
- Estimated 2013-2014 Cost of Attendance Budget
- Estimated 2013-2014 Cost of Attendance Budget - Pharmacy
Net Price Calculator
What will it cost to attend UH Hilo? Prospective and current students and their families can use the
Net Price Calculator to calculate an estimated cost of attendance.
Financial Aid Links
How are we doing? Financial Aid Services Survey
Please print, complete and submit our Financial Aid Survey to let us know how we're doing.
How To Contact Us
We have seven full-time staff members that will be happy to assist you.
Student Information System
The University of Hawaii at Hilo uses Banner by Ellucian to process student records.