University of Hawaii at Hilo's Online Summer Catalog for 2012
The information and links on this page duplicate the information contained in the print version of the 2012 Summer Session Catalog for UH Hilo, where the two are in disagreement, the print version shall be considered correct unless otherwise explicitly stated.
Download a copy of the 2012 Summer Catalog.
Download the addendum to the 2012 Summer Catalog.
An Overview of University of Hawai'i at Hilo's Summer Session
- About UH Hilo's Summer Session
- Contact the College of Continuing Education and Community Service about Summer Session.
- Academic Calendar for Summer Session 2012
- Payment information for summer students
- The University of Hawai'i at Hilo Campus Map
Information on Admissions, Courses, and Prerequisites
- Apply to Summer Session at UH Hilo
- High School Student Application
- Information on applying to UH Hilo's Summer Session
- Registering for Summer Classes at UH Hilo
- General information about Summer Classes
- Getting your Grades after Summer Session
Available Courses, Program Information
- All courses offered during UH Hilo's Summer Session can be found here. Students can find out who the instructors are and review course descriptions prior to registering for classes.
- Visiting students are invited to sign up for our Island Summer Package. The ISP is an affordable option for visiting students who want convenient, on campus housing, an affordable meal plan, and group activities that take advantage of Hawaii's unique tropical beauty.
- CCECS also provides a special event each summer for students enrolled in the Summer Session. Details will be announced to enrolled students through their UH email. Food, entertainment, and prizes for summer students who would like to spend the day celebrating summer with their classmates and friends.
- UH Hilo's Marine Science Program is renowned for our award-winning educators, extensive hands-on training, and exciting research.
- Fitness for Life: UH Hilo proudly offers a variety of non-credit courses that focus on physical, emotional, and mental well being. Some courses are very physically intense while other focus on movement as art, all are a chance to unwind and feel good without worrying about grades. Contact CCECS for a current course list, 974-7664, or check out the Non-Credit Course Web page.
Campus Services, Hilo Town Services
Books and Materials required for UH Hilo's Summer Classes can be purchased from the UH Hilo Bookstore. The bookstore is open from 8:15am to 3:30pm Monday through Friday, call 808-974-7348 for more information, or visit the UH Hilo Online Bookstore.
Food Service on campus is provided by Sodexho. Sandwiches, salads, snacks, and beverages are available at the Coffee Cart at Campus Center during both Summer Session I and II. The Hale Kehau Dining Room will be open during Summer Session II.
Counseling Services are available to all students. The goal of Counseling Services is to provide assistance to individuals in defining and achieving personal, academic, and career goals. Services are available on a walk-in basis or by appointment. To schedule an appointment call 974-7399, for more information visit the Counseling Services web page.
The campus Library is open during the summer session. Summer hours are: Monday through Thursday, 8:00am to 8:00pm, and Fridays from 8:00am to 4:00pm.
The Student Life Center is open to all students at no cost. The center provides students with recreational, fitness, and wellness opportunities. The center strives to be an open, safe, fun environment for student recreation, learning, and social interaction.
Getting to Hilo takes a bit of planning, especially since summer is a popular time for visitors to travel to Hawaii, book your airline tickets in advance and make sure your final destination is Hilo International Airport (ITO). There is no bus service from the airport, taxi services are available. Taxi fare from Hilo Airport of UH Hilo is about $15.
UH Hilo campus is located on the edge of downtown Hilo and there are several convenience stores and restaurants within walking distance. However, the campus is approximately three miles south of the nearest shoreline and three miles east of the nearest shopping mall.
Summer Session II students can apply for on campus housing at the Hale 'Ikena apartments. All students in on-campus housing must be high school graduates or at least 18 years of age. Units are two bedroom, include kitchen facilities, and are designed to house four students.
Students seeking on-campus housing for Summer Session I should contact the Student Housing Office.
Off-campus housing for both sessions is also available through the Student Housing Office.
Marine Science at UH Hilo
- More about the Marine Science Program at UH Hilo
- Summer classes available through the Marine Science Program
- Small classes with award winning instructors provide world classes educational experiences in Marine Biology, Oceanography, Marine Ecology, Marine Science Education, and Marine Field Research Methods and Analysis.
- Download the Marine Science Summer Program Brochure for information about this year's summer classes.
Each year, instructors offer a wide variety of courses during the Summer Session. Some courses are new, experimental courses, some are part of special summer programs, others are general education courses for students trying to graduate early, catch up, or lighten their course-load during the regular year.
Many UH Hilo Summer Classes are offered online in part or in their entirety. Many of these courses are also being taught in traditional classroom settings. Please review course descriptions to ensure that you enroll in the section you prefer.
Many courses have concurrent lab sections, these course have a lab fee associated with the lab section for the course. Please check the course description of each lab section you intend to enroll in for the cost of the lab fees.
Keys to understanding course descriptions:
Campus Building Key
Days of the Week Key
|College of Agriculture, Forestry, and Natural Resource Management Building||
|Edith Kanaka'ole Building||
|Life Science Building||
|Marine Science Building||
|Science and Technology Building|
|University Classroom Building|
2012 Summer Courses by Department