Prior to formal admission into the upper-division Nursing program, students following the course of study to qualify for admission will be considered Pre-nursing students. Newly entering Pre-nursing students should indicate PRNU as the major on their Common Application Form. Continuing UH Hilo students who have not done so should submit a "Change of Program" form to indicate PRNU as the major. There are no special requirements for the PRNU major. Pre-nursing students should seek regular advisement from their assigned nursing faculty adviser regarding academic planning.
Upper-Division Nursing Major
Students qualify for admission into the upper division of the basic
Baccalaureate Nursing Program after completing prerequisite courses. Admission
is on a competitive, space-available basis.
The criteria for admission to the Nursing program are as follows:
- Timely submission of UH Hilo Common Application Form for newly entering students or "Change of Program" form for continuing students. (Designate NURH for the major.)
- Timely submission of nursing application form
- A 2.7 cumulative college grade point average (GPA)
- A 2.7 GPA for all courses listed as a National Science degree requirement for the BSN program
- Completion of all college prerequisite courses (Note: Biology and chemistry classes must be passed with a "C" or better grade. Students transferring from outside the UH system must submit course descriptions for all non-nursing courses and course syllabi for nursing courses.)
- Only 16 credits of nursing prerequisite courses can be outstanding with a maximum of 8 credits in the required sciences (including no more than one lab) by the end of the semester prior to application.
- Basic students will take a pre-entry examination with students expected to meet minimum performance standards set forth by the program. This is not a requirement for RN to BSN students.
Admission Application Forms
Fall admission only: Applications to the Bachelor of Science in Nursing Program must be made by January 15 for Fall entry. The current application form is available in the FORMS section from August to January.
TEAS V Entrance Test
Students planning to apply for the UHH BSN program for Fall of 2014 entry are required to complete the pre-entry test, TEAS V (5.0 edition), by the January 15, 2014 application deadline.
NEW Summer Testing dates and time:
July 11, 2013 8:00-12:00 UCB 200 Computer lab
July 18, 2013
8:00-12:00 UCB 200 Computer lab
July 25, 2013 8:00-12:00 UCB 200 Computer lab
July 30, 2013 8:00-12:00 UCB 200 Computer lab
REGISTERING FOR THE TEAS V
All UHH School of Nursing BSN Program applicants must submit a 2013 TEAS V exam result with his/her Application for the BSN Program (Application deadline Jan. 15, 2014). Any other tests or editions of the TEAS, other than the TEAS V, will not be acceptable for the admission application of the UHH SON BSN Program.
ON THE DAY OF THE TEAS V EXAM
- To register for the TEAS V, please go to www.atitesting.com, create a username and password and register on the dates you wish to take. There is a limit of 30 students per exam date.
- If a student wishes to take the TEAS V at another location, other than the UHH SON, it will be necessary to check with ATI (www.atitesting.com) for another possible location where the TEAS V will be given. If the TEAS V is taken elsewhere, besides UHH SON, the student must make prior arrangements with ATI to have a copy of his/her TEAS V results sent to the UHH SON. There is a fee for that service.
- Students who have registered to take the TEAS at the UHH SON in the University Class Room Building (UCB) 200 will meet the proctor in the hallway outside of UCB room 200 for further instructions. Students will need to arrive in the hallway outside UCB 200 at least 30 minutes prior to the test time
- UH-Hilo Main Campus Map link: http://hilo.hawaii.edu/uhh/maps.php
- TEAS V testing will begin promptly and students arriving later than 30 minutes prior to the exam will need to reschedule.
- The TEAS V must be completed within approximately 4 hours, as this is a timed exam.
WHAT TO BRING TO THE TEAS V EXAM:
- Valid Photo ID
- Your previously created ATI ID and Password
- Your car keys (if driving after the TEAS V)
WHAT NOT TO BRING TO THE TEAS V EXAM:
- Cell phones, i-pads, calculators, laptops, and all other electronic devices
- Purses, backpacks, or bags
- Food and Drinks (hydrate and consume food prior to the exam)
- For extenuating circumstances, regarding items not allowed at the TEAS V site, contact Linda Voong at the UHH SON for prior authorization at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have any questions and/or concerns please contact:
Linda Voong at email@example.com