Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) Checklist
Please complete all tasks and submit items to the Office of Admissions by the February 1st 2013 deadline. Be sure to check off items once you confirm the Office of Admissions has received these items. All materials are to be sent to the Office of Admissions, 200 W. Kawili Street, Hilo, HI 96720 unless otherwise indicated.
- Application: Submit a UH Common Application form for admission to UH Hilo with the $50 application fee. Sign up for the following majors/degree programs:
- Licensure Area: Elementary; University of Hawaii at Hilo; Elementary Education; Master of Arts in Teaching; Summer 2013 or Secondary; University of Hawaii at Hilo; Secondary Education, Master of Arts in Teaching; Summer 2013.
- Completion of Prerequisites and Content Preparation Courses: All prerequisite and content preparation courses must be completed prior to entering the Master of Arts in Teaching Program.
- Transcripts: Official transcripts of all postsecondary work directly from each institution attended. Transcripts must come directly from the institution. Faxed, student copy or transcripts received from applicants will not be accepted. Transcripts within the UH system do not need to be requested.
- Recommendation Form: Three (3) recommendation forms are required for each applicant. The letters should be obtained from someone who has directly observed your performance or can address your potential in the education field. Please be sure that the writer completes the Professional Attributes Scale on the reverse side of the recommendation form.
- Personal Statements: On a separate sheet, please respond in your most polished and professional prose to the following questions. Each response should be approximately 250 words, typed and double-spaced.
- Interest in the Teaching Profession: Why do you want to become a teacher? Please describe what experiences motivated you to choose teaching as your profession over another career.
- Beliefs about Student Learning: Please describe your beliefs about student learning. What has influenced you in those beliefs?
- PRAXIS Examination: Passing scores on the PRAXIS I: Pre-Professional Skills Tests and PRAXIS II: Content Area examinations are required for admission to the Master of Arts in Teaching Program. Official copies of your report must be submitted to UH Hilo School of Education office. Unofficial copies will NOT be accepted. UH Hilo's Institution Code is 4869.
- Experiences Working with Children or Young People: On the provided chart, please describe your experiences working with children or young people with emphasis on the target age level appropriate to the program for which you are applying . Examples of such experiences include volunteer tutoring, summer fun programs, substitute teaching or employment as a teacher's aide. Include the name of the organization, supervisor, dates of experience or employment and your duties. Please list experiences in chronological order starting with the most recent experience first. The School of Education reserves the right to verfiy this information.
- Questions about the program? Call Travis Nakayama at 808-974-7748 or email email@example.com.
- Questions about Admissions? Call Mahealani Jones at 808-974-7414 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- MAT Guide