7th - 12th Grade Teacher Candidates
Welcome to the Secondary Education Program
During the Fall Semester, secondary Teacher Candidates are engaged in an integrated program of coursework and field experiences.
Fall Semester Required Courses (18 Semester Hours)
During the Fall Semester, the schedule includes:
- ED 469, Principles of Instructional Planning for Secondary Education (1 semester hour)
- ED 470 Diverse Learners in the Classroom (3 semester hours)
- ED 471 Art of Classroom Management (3 semester hours)
474 Secondary Teaching Methods (4 semester hours);
- ED 476 Content Area Literacy (2 semester hours)
- ED 478 Issues in Assessment & Evaluation in Secondary Schools (2 semester hours)
- ED 479 Field Experience I (2 semester hours)
- ED 483 Seminar in Teaching I (1 semester hour)
Spring Semester Required Courses (14 Semester Hours)
During the Spring Semester, Teacher Candidates work primarily in their field experiences sites and return to campus for seminar and portfolio development.
- ED 484 Effective Teaching Portfolio (1 semester hour)
- ED 485 Seminar in Teaching II (3 semester hours)
- ED 486 Field Experience II (10 semester hours)
TEP Graduates will receive a Certificate in Teacher Education and be able to:
- Engage students in appropriate experiences that support their development as independent learners.
- Create and maintain a safe and positive learning environment.
- Provide learning opportunities that are inclusive and adapted to diverse learners.
- Foster effective communication in the learning environment.
- Demonstrate knowledge of content.
- Design and provide meaningful learning experiences.
- Use active student learning strategies.
- Use appropriate assessment strategies.
- Demonstrate professionalism.
- Foster parent and school community relationships.