M.Ed. Admission Requirements
Admission is based upon previous preparation and requires previous completion of a bachelor's degree and evidence of eligibility for the initial basic license to teach as defined by the UH Hilo School of Education. Generally, an applicant must have earned a minimum grade point average of 3.0 (4.0=A scale) or the equivalent in the last four semesters or approximately 60 semester credits of his/her undergraduate record and in all post-baccalaureate work. Applications are available at the School of Education or UH Hilo Admissions Office. Contact theSchool of Education advisor at 808-974-7748 for more information.
Interested students can apply at http://apply.hawaii.edu/. An application can also be downloaded. Students also have to submit Letters of Recommendation (3 are required) plus the Statement of Objectives. A detailed description of requirements are available from the School of Education or from the UH Hilo Admissions Office. Following are the major requirements for admission:
- Baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution;
- A cumulative grade point average of 3.0 (4.0 = A scale) or the equivalent in the last four semesters or approximately 60 semester credits of his/her undergraduate record and in all post-baccalaureate work;
- Evidence of eligibility for an Initial Basic License to teach*;
- Three letters of recommendation from references who have observed or supervised the applicant's performance and are able to comment on the quality of the applicant's teaching experience, ability to pursue graduate study, and general character;
Applicants who do not hold a license to teach should meet with the School of Education Advisor (808-974-7748 for appointment) prior to submitting documentation of eligibility for an initial basic license.
* These applicants will be considered for acceptance into the program on a case-by-case basis. Applicants must submit evidence of their eligibility by documenting:
- Development of knowledge, skills, and dispositions described in the Hawaii Teacher Standards Board's Teacher Performance Standards,
- Experience teaching and,
- Ability to participate in the study of education at the level of sophistication required in a graduate program.
The UH Hilo School of Education M.Ed. Admissions Committee will evaluate evidence submitted as one of the components in the M.Ed. application. Incomplete application packets will not be reviewed.
Foreign applicants must also provide verification of financial status. An official TOEFL score report might be required.