Chancellor Donald Straney
"To help create Hawaiʻi’s future, the University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo challenges students to reach their highest level of achievement and gives every student opportunities to apply their learning to our distinctive natural and cultural environment." -Chancellor Donald Straney
History of UH Hilo
- 1941 Hawaiʻi Vocational School is founded, and after several transformations, becomes Hawaiʻi Community College in 1969.
- 1947 The Hilo Program begins, and after several major spurts of growth, becomes the four-year Hilo College in 1969.
- 1969 Hilo College is merged with Hawaiʻi Community College, becoming the University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo.
- 1991 UH Hilo and Hawaiʻi Community College are separated.
- Past Directors and Chancellors (1952-2010)
- Detailed timeline with milestones and photos
- HTH Supplement on UH Hilo: "University Town"