Tropical Farming Certificate
Home » Undergraduate Education » College of Agriculture, Forestry, and Natural Resource Management (CAFNRM) » Tropical Farming Certificate
Contact: Bruce Mathews (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Phone: (808) 932-7038
The Tropical Farming Certificate provides a pathway to a career in agriculture and a potential link to further educational opportunities. In addition to the standard offering of classes at the UH Hilo main campus, courses will be periodically taught at off-campus agricultural facilities of the University of Hawaii System and other cooperators when funding is available from educational and rural development grants and other sources.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate competence with both laboratory and field-based techniques used in modern tropical agricultural production systems.
- Understand how global issues including climate change, energy use, chemical use, water availability and food safety impact sustainability of agricultural systems.
- Apply principles of business, marketing and management to an agricultural enterprise in developing the various components of a business plan.
- Describe and assess the influence of plant and (or) animal production systems and their management on environmental sustainability and restoration.
- Demonstrate an appreciation and an ability to communicate the diverse impacts of agriculture on humankind.
- AG 205 Value Added Ag Products (3) or FDSC 201 Man's Food (3)
- AG 215 Agro-Environmental Chemistry (3)
- AG 230 Sustainable Agriculture (3)
- AG 290 Stud Mgt Farm Enterp Prj (3) or AG 291 Directed Work Experience Pgm (3)
- AGEC 330 Farm Management (3)
- AGEN 301 Farm Power (3)
- HORT 262 Princ Of Hort (3)
Total: 21 semester hours
- Agriculture: Animal Science—Livestock Production Specialty
- Agriculture: Animal Science—Pre-Veterinary Specialty
- Agriculture: Aquaculture Specialty
- Agriculture: Tropical Horticulture Specialty
- Agriculture: Tropical Plant Science and Agroecology Specialty
- Agriculture Minor
- Beekeeping Certificate
- Forest Resource Management and Conservation Certificate
- Plant Tissue Culture Certificate
- Tropical Farming Certificate
- Special Programs
- CAFNRM Courses
- Agriculture (AG) Courses
- Agribusiness (AGBU) Courses
- Agricultural Economics (AGEC) Courses
- Agricultural Engineering (AGEN) Courses
- Agronomy (AGRN) Courses
- Animal Science (ANSC) Courses
- Aquaculture (AQUA) Courses
- Entomology (ENTO) Courses
- Food Science and Technology (FDSC) Courses
- Forestry (FOR) Courses
- Horticulture (HORT) Courses
- Natural Resources (NRES) Courses
- Plant Physiology (PPHY) Courses
- Plant Pathology (PPTH) Courses
- Soil Science (SOIL) Courses