The Registration Schedule is posted at hilo.hawaii.edu/registrar/RegistrationGuide.php.
Students cannot register until they have cleared all medical, academic, and financial obligations. Registration is not complete until all tuition and fees have been paid by the payment deadline.
Late Registration begins the first day of the semester or session. The last date on which students may register in any term is indicated in the UH Hilo Academic Calendar. There is a fee for late registration.
UH Hilo students may enroll concurrently at any UH institution. All prerequisites and course requirements apply. Tuition and fees will be assessed for any enrollments at other UH institutions. UH Hilo students who wish to also enroll for courses through UH Mānoa or UH West Oʻahu must be admitted to the appropriate university. When applying to UH Mānoa or UH West Oʻahu, students should indicate that they wish that campus to be secondary and that UH Hilo is to remain their primary, or “home institution”.
It is important for UH Hilo students to be aware that they have a “home institution,” which is the site of their degree programs, their financial aid awards, and the majority of their coursework. To ensure active UH Hilo student status, students must enroll in at least one class at UH Hilo each Fall or Spring semester. Students who do not maintain active UH Hilo status may be subject to readmission and a change in graduation requirements.
Students should consult the UH Hilo Admissions Office to determine the transferability of coursework completed elsewhere. Students planning to enroll in courses from other UH campuses are strongly encouraged to file a “Prior Authorization for Transfer Credits” form (available at hilo.hawaii.edu/registrar/documents/TransferCreditAuth.pdf) with their college deans that notifies the college and the Financial Aid Office of their enrollment status. Students should be aware that:
- The UH Hilo grade point average is based only on work taken at UH Hilo.
- To earn a bachelor’s degree at UH Hilo, a minimum of 30 credits must be earned at UH Hilo.
- College of Arts & Sciences, College of Business & Economics, and Ka Haka ʻUla O Keʻelikōlani College of Hawaiian Language students must earn a minimum of 25% of the credits required for their major, minor, and/or certificate at UH Hilo.
- Students are discouraged from repeating courses elsewhere that they have already taken at UH Hilo, since the grade at another institution (including within the UH system) will NOT replace the grade earned at UH Hilo. Students should also be sure that they have not already received transfer credit for a course in which they plan to register at UH Hilo, since additional credit will not be awarded. Students can find their transfer evaluation by going to the STAR Degree Audit at: https://www.star.hawaii.edu:10012/studentinterface/login.jsp. The detailed course evaluations for each campus attended are available in the “Reports” tab in STAR.
Upon completion a course taken outside of the University of Hawaiʻi system, students must have a copy of their official transcript sent to the UH Hilo Admissions Office. Students taking courses within the UH System will have their course work automatically transferred back to UH Hilo within a few weeks after the grading period is complete. If the courses do not appear in your STAR reports, contact the UH Hilo Admissions Office.
- Academic Expectations and Responsibilities
- Academic Advising
- Adding a Course
- Dropping or Withdrawing from a Course
- Complete Withdrawal
- Declaration of Major
- Change of Major/College/Classified Status
- Classification of Students
- Course Numbering System
- Credits, Grades, and Examinations
- Transfer Credits
- Credit for Education Received While in Military Service
- Final Examinations
- Repeating Courses
- Directed Reading and Directed Studies
- Exceptions to Academic Regulations
- Attendance & Satisfactory Progress
- Academic Warning, Probation & Dismissal
- Academic Bankruptcy
- Academic Dishonesty
- Academic Complaints
- Participation in Assessment Efforts
- Graduation Requirements