UH Hilo Pre-Pharmacy
Pre-Pharmacy Advisor: Lyssa Sakamoto
Tel: (808) 932-7790
Pre-Pharmacy, is a minimum two-year comprehensive preparatory program of study toward admittance into the professional curriculum leading to a Doctor of Pharmacy Degree (Pharm.D.) at the Daniel K. Inouye College of Pharmacy (DKICP). The Pre-Pharmacy Program is not a major at UH Hilo. Completion of the curriculum, however, provides students with the necessary prerequisite course requirements for application to the DKICP Pharm.D. Program. All participating students receive specialized advising toward the development of an academic plan and guidance on the application process to pharmacy schools. Completion of the Pre-Pharmacy curriculum does not guarantee admission into the DKICP.
Develop and expand academic options, advising, mentorship, and community service opportunities for students for fulfillment of pre-pharmacy academic requirements and other pre-professional preparatory experiences toward successful application to the DKICP, or other institutions.
Prospects and Suggestions for Students
Advising is a very important resource designed to help students complete the requirements of the University and their individual majors. Students should consult with their advisor at least once a semester to decide on courses, check progress towards graduation, and discuss career options and other educational opportunities provided by UH Hilo. Advising is a shared responsibility, but students have final responsibility for meeting degree requirements.
The Daniel K. Inouye College of Pharmacy Guaranteed Admission Program
The DKICP Guaranteed Admission Program is an intensive three-year scholarly preparatory program for high school seniors and college students. Applicants to the Guaranteed Admission Program are highly motivated to achieve their goal of becoming a Pharmacist. Guaranteed Admission Program students are required to complete the Pre-Pharmacy requisite courses (minimum of 85 credits) over three-years while maintaining the desired GPA, submit an Early Decision PharmCAS application, submit a supplemental application, and successfully interview with the DKICP. Guaranteed Admissions Program students are ensured a seat in the DKICP Pharm.D. Program upon successful completion of the Guaranteed Admission Program. Acceptance into the Pharm.D. Program will be determined by the DKICP Guaranteed Admission Program Committee and the Admissions Committee.
Curriculum requirements include a total of 68–69 credit hours (30–31 general education, 36 core science credit hours, and 2 credit hours Pre-Pharmacy Orientation). The coursework is structurally aligned with the curriculum requirements toward a BA or BS degree in Biology or Chemistry at UH Hilo. Details of course listings and transfer tables are available on the Pre-Pharmacy website.
Group 1. General Education Requirements
Students should meet with their advisor to ensure that they enroll in courses that will enable them to take recommended Pre-Pharmacy General Education courses. This is particularly important for students who plan to earn the BA in Pharmacy Studies while earning their Doctor of Pharmacy degree.
The General Education courses should include:
- English Composition (6)
- Quantitative Reasoning (4): MATH 205 Calculus I (4)
- World Cultures (3)
- Humanities (6)
- Social Sciences (6)
- Speech (3)
- Economics (3)
The new GE basic, core, and integrative requirements and lists of certified courses are posted on the General Education website.
Group 2. Natural Science Requirements (36 credits)
- BIOL 171-171L Introductory Biology I (3), Introductory Biology I Lab (1) (Formerly offered as BIOL 175-175L)
- BIOL 172-172L Introductory Biology II (3), Introductory Biology II lAB (1) (Formerly offered as BIOL 176-176L)
- CHEM 161-161L General Chemistry I (3), General Chemistry I Lab (1)
- CHEM 162-162L General Chemistry II (3), General Chemistry II Lab (1)
- CHEM 241-241L Organic Chem I (3), Organic Chem I Lab (1)
- CHEM 242-242L Organic Chem II (3), Organic Chem II Lab (1)
- BIOL 243-243L Human Anatomy & Physiology I (3), Human Anatomy & Physio I Lab (1)
- BIOL 244-244L Human Anatomy & Physiology II (3), Human Anatomy & Physio II Lab (1)
- BIOL 275-275L Fund Microbiology (3), Microbiology Lab (1) or BIOL 375-375L Biology of Microorganisms (3), Biology of Microorganisms Lab (1)
Group 3. Courses from Related Fields (2 credits)
- IS 201 Pre-Pharmacy Orientation (2)
Pre-Pharmacy Undergraduate Certificate:
The Department of Chemistry also offers a Pre-Pharmacy Subject Certificate. The Pre-Pharmacy Certificate program helps prepare students toward successful application to Colleges of Pharmacy. Students also have the option to complete a four-year undergraduate degree program in Chemistry- Biosciences during and after completion of their Pre-Pharmacy requirements, thereby expanding their career options after graduation. Students interested in pursuing the certificate should coordinate with their advisor to declare the program of study.
- Administration of Justice
- Computer Science
- Education- School of Education
- Environmental Science
- Gender and Women’s Studies
- Global Engagement Certificate
- Japanese Studies
- Kinesiology and Exercise Sciences
- Liberal Studies
- Marine Option Program Certificate
- Marine Science
- Natural Science
- Nursing - School of Nursing
- Pacific Islands Studies Certificate
- Performing Arts
- Planning Certificate
- Political Science
- Pre-Law Certificate
- STEM Research Honors Certificate
- Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) Certificate
- UH Hilo Pre-Pharmacy