Pacific Islands Studies Certificate
Kerri A. Inglis, Ph.D. (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Social Sciences Division Office:
UCB 308, (808) 932-7100
- James O. Juvik, Ph.D.
- Sonia Juvik, Ph.D.
- Karla McDermid, Ph.D.
- Peter R. Mills, Ph.D.
- Kathryn Besio, Ph.D.
- Kerri A. Inglis, Ph.D.
- Seri Luangphinith, Ph.D.
- Jeffrey “Sasha” S. Davis, Ph.D.
- Joseph H. Genz, Ph.D.
- Kathleen L. Kawelu, Ph.D.
- James P. Mellon, M.A.
The interdisciplinary Pacific Islands Studies Certificate Program is an adjunct to a student’s academic major. Students will have an opportunity to deepen their knowledge of Pacific Island environments, cultures, political-economy and history. Course work in the certificate program focuses on the Pacific as a complex region of island states and territories with common regional concerns, and reviews the problems and prospects of island peoples in the contemporary world.
Certificate program students will have the opportunity to attend guest lectures by visiting experts on a range of Pacific Island related issues and will be encouraged to participate in Pacific-themed social events. Certificate program students will also be able to take advantage on occasion of the Center for Pacific Island Education (located in the UH Hilo Campus Center). The Center will provide a space for Pacific Islander students to gather to study, socialize and support one another, as well as enable other students regardless of their ethnic background to learn about the Pacific Islands and its rich histories, cultures, and contemporary issues.
Students will be required to take 12 credits of core classes and 9 elective credits.
The mission of the UH Hilo Pacific Islands Studies Certificate is to provide students with a rigorous, high-quality foundation in the culture, geography, and history of Oceania. The primary goal is to foster exchange and collaboration among Pacific Islander students and between Pacific Islander and non-Pacific Islander students, as well as to prepare students for graduate studies and/or employment in Pacific environments. The Pacific Islands Studies Certificate program supports students from all backgrounds and disciplines, with the intent to deepen their knowledge of Pacific Island environments, cultures, political-economy, and history.
Program Learning Outcomes
The Pacific Islands Studies Certificate is designed to:
- develop student awareness of inter-disciplinary research as applied to issues in the Pacific region
- develop student appreciation of applied learning and community service and outreach as applied to issues in the Pacific region
- foster a greater understanding of Pacific Islander cultures and their experiences in Hawaii
- foster exchange and collaboration among Pacific Islander students and between Pacific Islander and non-Pacific Islander students.
Student Learning Outcomes
Students earning the Certificate in Pacific Islands Studies will be able to:
- understand and apply the theories and methods of the inter-related but distinct fields of history, geography and anthropology (and others) to a variety of historical and contemporary issues within the Pacific
- interact with the diverse Pacific Island communities in Hawaii and specifically at the UH Hilo campus
- critically evaluate a variety of scientific data, theories, and perspectives pertaining to physical, environmental, and social processes occurring in the Pacific region
- demonstrate a depth of knowledge about environmental and social issues in the Pacific region, and on a specific Pacific island or nation, in particular
- effectively communicate the results of a scholarly research project in written form
- apply their Certificate in the development of their resume or future job search.
- Administration of Justice
- Chinese Studies Certificate
- Computer Application Development Specialization Certificate
- Computer Science
- Database Management Certificate
- E-Commerce Technology and Business Certificate
- School of Education
- Educational Studies Certificate
- Engineering Program
- Environmental Studies Certificate
- Environmental Studies/Science
- Filipino Studies Certificate
- Global Engagement Certificate
- Japanese Studies
- Kinesiology and Exercise Sciences
- Liberal Studies
- Marine Option Program Certificate
- Marine Science
- Natural Science
- School of Nursing
- Pacific Islands Studies Certificate
- Performing Arts
- Performing Arts Certificate
- Planning Certificate
- Political Science
- Pre-Pharmacy Program
- STEM Research Honors Certificate
- Teaching English as a Second Language (TESOL) Certificate
- Women’s Studies Certificate