- Yoshiko Fukushima, Ph.D.
- Masafumi Honda, Ed.D.
- Yoshiko Okuyama, Ph.D.
- Jiren Feng, Ph. D.
- Rodney Jubilado, Ph.D.
- Faith Mishina, Ph.D.
The Department of Languages offers instruction in Chinese, Filipino, French, Japanese, Latin, and Spanish, as well as related courses in literature, culture, and language studies. Each program is comprehensive in approach, developing the functions of speaking, comprehension, reading, and writing and enhancing knowledge of the target area’s culture, history, society and the people.
The Department’s course offerings in languages can be found under the following course prefixes:
- Chinese: CHNS
- Filipino: FIL
- French: FR
- Japanese: JPNS
- Latin: LATN
- Spanish: SPAN
- Language Studies: LANG
Hawaiian Language courses offered by Ka Haka ʻUla O Keʻelikōlani College of Hawaiian Language are listed under HAW in this Catalog.
Program Objectives and Student Outcomes:
- Understanding the general nature of human language, first language and second language and verbal and nonverbal -- it's structure and use
- Manifest the skills, understandings, and dispositions necessary to be a language specialist within the context of their professional work and social practice
- Deepen their knowledge of the language and the culture through study of language, language pedagogy, literature and culture
- Demonstrate an understanding of local language and language arts education issues of Hawaii and the Pacific in their professional work
- Improve the quality of learning and teaching of second, foreign, and heritage languages and area studies, in the state of Hawaii, domestically, and abroad
- Interpret the history of teaching foreign langauge and culture and its contemporary issues and critically evaluate and make use of research into the learning, use, structure, and its pedagogy
The Department of Languages does not offer a Language major. It does, however, house the following free-standing interdisciplinary programs:
- BA and Minor in Japanese Studies
- Certificate in Chinese Studies
- Certificate in Filipino Studies
Ka Haka ʻUla O Keʻelikōlani College of Hawaiian Language offers a Master of Arts degree in Hawaiian Language and Literature.
- Chinese Studies Certificate
- Filipino Studies Certificate
- Japanese Studies
- French (FR) Courses
- Languages (LANG) Courses
- Latin (LATN) Courses
- Spanish (SPAN) Courses
- Administration of Justice
- Requirements for the B.A. in Biology: Cell and Molecular Track
- Requirements for the B.A. in Biology: Ecology, Evolution and Conservation Track
- Requirements for the B.S. in Biology: Cell and Molecular Track
- Requirements for the B.S. in Biology: Ecology, Evolution and Conservation Track
- Biology Minor
- Biology (BIOL) Courses
- Chinese Studies
- Computer Science
- School of Education
- Engineering Program
- Environmental Studies/Science
- Filipino Studies
- Japanese Studies
- Kinesiology and Exercise Sciences
- Liberal Studies
- Marine Science
- Natural Science
- School of Nursing
- Pacific Islands Studies Certificate
- Performing Arts
- Political Science
- Pre-Pharmacy Program
- Women’s Studies Certificate