Keʻelikōlani Linguistics (KLIN) Graduate Courses
Built upon a core commitment to Hawaiian language and culture education, Ka Haka ʻUla O Keʻelikōlani provides courses that also address the broader world of indigenous peoples and the use of Hawaiian as an official medium of education for the State of Hawaiʻi. Courses other than Hawaiian language (HAW) and Hawaiian Studies (HWST) are marked with an initial K (for Keʻelikōlani) followed by an appropriate alpha, e.g. IND (Indigenous Studies), ANT (Anthropology), ED (Education), etc.
See How to read course descriptions for information about the formatting used.
KLIN 601 Genrl Ling Indigenous Context (3) A broad overview of contemporary linguistics with a focus on indigenous languages.
KLIN 603 Sociolinguistic Anal Indig Lan (3) Expansion from KLIN 601 in the study of the relationship between language and society. Topics covered include varieties of languages (e.g., standard languages, varieties/dialects/pidgins/creoles/registers/styles) and types of speech communities (e.g., bi/multilingual, diglossia) and functions of language. Focus on application to indigenous language contexts. Pre: KLIN 601.
KLIN x94 Special Topics in Subject Matter (Arr.) Special topics chosen by the instructor. Course content will vary. May be repeated for credit, provided that a different topic is studied. Additional requirements may apply depending on subject and topic.
KLIN x99 Directed Studies (Arr.) Statement of planned reading or research required. Pre: instructor’s consent.
- Ph.D. in Hawaiian and Indigenous Language and Culture Revitalization
- Kahuawaiola Indigenous Teacher Education Graduate Program Certificate
- M.A. in Indigenous Language and Culture Education
- M.A. in Hawaiian Language and Literature
- Hawaiian Language (HAW) Graduate Courses
- Hawaiian Studies (HWST) Graduate Courses
- Keʻelikōlani Education (KED) Graduate Courses
- Keʻelikōlani Indigenous Language (KLAN) Graduate Courses
- Keʻelikōlani Indigenous Studies (KIND) Graduate Courses
- Keʻelikōlani Linguistics (KLIN) Graduate Courses