Keʻelikōlani History (KHIS) Courses
Built upon a core commitment to Hawaiian language and culture education, Ka Haka ʻUla O Keʻelikōlani provides courses that also address the broader world of indigenous peoples and the use of Hawaiian as an official medium of education for the State of Hawaiʻi. Courses are marked with an initial K (for Keʻelikōlani) followed by an appropriate alpha, e.g. HAW (Hawaiian), HWS (Hawaiian Studies), IND (Indigenous Studies), ANT (Anthropology), ED (Education), etc.
See How to read course descriptions for information about the formatting used.
KHIS 151 Moaukala Ao Pae I (3) Taught through the medium of Hawaiian language. A study of the history of humanity upon the face of the earth from initial beginnings until the spread of Europeans into the lands of indigenous peoples. A study of the breadth of that history focusing on aspects that have being integrated into contemporary living Native Hawaiian culture and identity as well as those areas with parallels in the specific history of Hawaiʻi. Students learn to develop a historical perspective and research skills using primary resources. Prereq: KHAW 303 or with permission from instructor. (Attributes: FGA)
KHIS x94 Special Topics in Subject Matter (Arr.) Special topics chosen by the instructor. Course content will vary. May be repeated for credit, provided that a different topic is studied. Additional requirements may apply depending on subject and topic.
KHIS x99 Directed Studies (Arr.) Statement of planned reading or research required. Pre: instructor’s consent.
- B.A. in Hawaiian Studies Requirement
- Hawaiian Studies Minor
- Hawaiian Culture Certificate
- Hawaiian Language Certificate
- Hawaiian and Indigenous Language Medium Early Education Certificate
- Multidisciplinary Hawaiian Studies Certificate
- Hawaiian Language (HAW) Courses
- Hawaiian Studies (HWST) Courses
- Keʻelikōlani Education (KED) Courses
- Keʻelikōlani Hawaiian Language (KHAW) Courses
- Keʻelikōlani Hawaiian Studies (KHWS) Courses
- Keʻelikōlani Indigenous Language (KLAN) Courses
- Keʻelikōlani History (KHIS) Courses
- Keʻelikōlani Indigenous Studies (KIND) Courses