Hawaiian Language (HAW) Courses
Built upon a core commitment to Hawaiian language and culture education, Ka Haka ʻUla O Keʻelikōlani provides courses that also address the broader world of indigenous peoples and the use of Hawaiian as an official medium of education for the State of Hawaiʻi. Courses are marked with an initial K (for Keʻelikōlani) followed by an appropriate alpha, e.g. HAW (Hawaiian), HWS (Hawaiian Studies), IND (Indigenous Studies), ANT (Anthropology), ED (Education), etc.
See How to read course descriptions for information about the formatting used.
HAW 100 Hawn Language in Action (2) A beginning immersion experience in Hawaiian focusing on the spoken use of the language. (A) usage referring to locations and relationships, (E) usage referring to processes and actors, (I) other. May be repeated for credit if subletters are different. Meets two times weekly. No prerequisites. (Attributes: GAHP)
HAW 101 Elementary Hawaiian I (4) Development of listening, speaking, reading and writing and analytical skills at the elementary level of auxiliary language. Taught within the context of the contemporary culture of the Hawaiian people. (Attributes: DH, GAHP, GL, HPP)
HAW 102 Elem Hawaiian II (4) Continuation of HAW 101. Pre: HAW 101 or placement exam. (Attributes: DH, GAHP, GL, HPP)
HAW 201 Intermediate Hawaiian I (4) Continuation of HAW 102 or 105. A second year study of Hawaiian as an auxiliary language. Pre: HAW 102 or HAW 105 or placement exam. (Attributes: DH, GAHP, GL, HPP)
HAW 202 Inter Hawaiian II (4) Continuation of HAW 201. Pre: HAW 201 or equivalent. (Attributes: DH, GAHP, GL, HPP)
HAW x94 Special Topics in Subject Matter (Arr.) Special topics chosen by the instructor. Course content will vary. May be repeated for credit, provided that a different topic is studied. Additional requirements may apply depending on subject and topic.
HAW x99 Directed Studies (Arr.) Statement of planned reading or research required. Pre: instructor’s consent.
Also see the HAW graduate-level courses.
- B.A. in Hawaiian Studies Requirement
- Hawaiian and Indigenous Language Medium Early Education Certificate
- Hawaiian Studies Minor
- Hawaiian Culture Certificate
- Hawaiian Language Certificate
- Multidisciplinary Hawaiian Studies Certificate
- Hawaiian Language (HAW) Courses
- Hawaiian Studies (HWST) Courses
- Keʻelikōlani Education (KED) Courses
- Keʻelikōlani Hawaiian Language (KHAW) Courses
- Keʻelikōlani Hawaiian Studies (KHWS) Courses
- Keʻelikōlani Indigenous Language (KLAN) Courses
- Keʻelikōlani History (KHIS) Courses
- Keʻelikōlani Indigenous Studies (KIND) Courses