Forest Resource Management and Conservation Certificate
Home » Undergraduate Education » College of Agriculture, Forestry, and Natural Resource Management (CAFNRM) » Forest Resource Management and Conservation Certificate
Contact: Yiqing Li (email@example.com)
Phone: (808) 932-7156
The Certificate of Forest Resource Management and Conservation is a multi-disciplinary program that emphasizes a theoretical and applied approach to forest resource management, forest ecosystem restoration, and natural resource conservation. This certificate program prepares students for employment with organizations such as The Nature Conservancy (TNC), Natural Resource Conservation Service (NRCS), DLNR’s Division of Forestry and Wildlife, and private consulting firms, and public organizations including the National Park Service and USDA Forest Service, and other similar organization involved in ecosystem management and ecological restoration. The certificate also is useful for advanced studies in the field.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding in the profession of Forestry, especially current applications of forestry principles and practices.
- Describe and draw connections among natural, agricultural, and land-use processes influencing the tropical forest ecosystems.
- Able to analyze watershed data utilizing GIS mapping techniques and able to develop and implement a forest conservation plan.
- Familiar with typical best management practices (BMP’s).
- Assess, comprehend, and synthesize a broad range of scientific and social-economic information to professionally present policy recommendations and research directives for forest conservation issues.
- MATH 121 Introduction to Statistics & Probability (3) or BIOL 280 Biostatistics (3)
Required Courses (18)
- FOR 202 Tropical Forestry and Natural Resources (3)
- NRES 430 GIS in Natural Resource Management or GEOG 480 Geographic Information Systems and Visualization (3)
- NRES 410 Invasive Species and Ecosystems (3) or BIOL 381 Conservation Biology (3)
- FOR 440 Forest Ecosystem Restoration and Management (3)
- NRES 420 Hydrology and Watershed Management (3)
- SOIL 304 Tropical Soils (3)
Total: 18 semester hours plus a 3-hour prerequisite
- Agriculture: Animal Science—Livestock Production Specialty
- Agriculture: Animal Science—Pre-Veterinary Specialty
- Agriculture: Aquaculture Specialty
- Agriculture: Tropical Horticulture Specialty
- Agriculture: Tropical Plant Science and Agroecology Specialty
- Agriculture Minor
- Beekeeping Certificate
- Forest Resource Management and Conservation Certificate
- Plant Tissue Culture Certificate
- Tropical Farming Certificate
- Special Programs
- CAFNRM Courses
- Agriculture (AG) Courses
- Agribusiness (AGBU) Courses
- Agricultural Economics (AGEC) Courses
- Agricultural Engineering (AGEN) Courses
- Agronomy (AGRN) Courses
- Animal Science (ANSC) Courses
- Aquaculture (AQUA) Courses
- Entomology (ENTO) Courses
- Food Science and Technology (FDSC) Courses
- Forestry (FOR) Courses
- Horticulture (HORT) Courses
- Natural Resources (NRES) Courses
- Plant Physiology (PPHY) Courses
- Plant Pathology (PPTH) Courses
- Soil Science (SOIL) Courses