Natural Sciences Division Office:
Office: Life Sciences, Room 2
Tel: (808) 932-7506/7507
Program Website: cse.uhh.hawaii.edu/programs.php
Engineers apply scientific and mathematical principles to design, create, and operate useful devices, structures, or processes in an efficient and economical manner. Many branches of engineering exist within this broad definition. Examples are the following:
- Electrical Engineering: Electrical engineers deal with the capture and transmission of energy and information (think of fuel cells, solar panels, hydroelectric plants, satellite transmission, TV, mobile devices).
- Mechanical Engineering: Mechanical engineers harness power and mechanical forces to develop all sorts of machines (think of supersonic jets, automobiles, robots, and even artificial organs). They also design and build heating and cooling systems, manufacturing facilities, and machine tools.
- Civil Engineering: Civil engineers design and supervise construction of visible infrastructure items (think of bridges, highways, airports, skyscrapers, or waste-water treatment facilities).
- Systems Engineering: Systems engineers help integrate many different components of a project to see that they work together smoothly and still meet performance, scheduling, and cost goals.
Engineers are employed in every state and city and by every major industry. Engineering graduates command among the highest starting salaries of all college graduates. The Bureau of Labor Statistics, part of the U.S. Department of Labor, predicts that by the year 2016 the United States will need nearly 400,000 more engineers than we have today. UH Hilo Pre-Engineering gives a solid background in the mathematics, physics, and chemistry needed for any engineering degree.
The Pre-Engineering program at UH Hilo is not a degree program. It is a suggested course of study to prepare students to transfer to a four-year accredited engineering program in Civil, Electrical, or Mechanical engineering.
Year 1 Suggested Schedule
- Fall Semester I (14 credits)
- ENG 100 Composition I (3)
- CHEM 161-161L General Chemistry I (3), General Chemistry I Lab (1)
- COM 251 Public Speaking (3)
- MATH 241 Calculus I (4)
- Spring Semester I (15 credits)
- CS 150 Intro To Computer Science I (3)
- CHEM 162 General Chemistry II (3)
- PHYS 170-170L Gen Phys I: Mechanics (4), Gen Phys I Lab (1)
- MATH 242 Calculus II (4)
Year 2 Suggested Schedule
- Fall Semester II (17 credits)
- MATH 243 Calculus III (3)
- PHYS 272-272L Gen Phys II: Elec & Magnetism (4), Gen Phys II Lab (1)
- BIOL 171 Introductory Biology I (3)
- Humanities or Social Sciences Elective (3)
- Elective (3)
- Spring Semester II (15 credits)
- MATH 244 Calculus IV (3)
- One course from:
- ECON 100 Intro To Economics (3)
- ECON 130 Intro To Microeconomics (3)
- ECON 131 Intro To Macroeconomics (3)
- Humanies or Social Science Elective (3)
- Elective (3)
- Elective (3)
Engineering related Elective courses are may be offered at UH Hilo on a rotating basis, students should consult with the Pre-Engineering advisor to select elective courses that meet their educational goals.
Engineering related elective courses:
- CE 270 Applied Mechanics I (3)
- CE 271 Applied Mechanics II (3)
- EE 211 Basic Circuit Analysis (3)