Educational Studies Certificate
18 Credit Hour Undergraduate Certificate Program
The Educational Studies certificate is intended to provide students with a basic understanding of the methodologies, theories, tools, and issues that shape the field of education. The core courses in this certificate program provide students with background in educational foundations,educational technology, and developmental psychology. The elective courses allow students to select courses from a variety of educational content areas.
Students who graduate with a certificate in Educational Studies will be prepared for a variety of education-related positions, such as coaches, educational assistants, and teachers. The certificate does NOT culminate in eligibility for a teaching license.
Students pursuing this certificate will complete 3 credit hours (1 course) of core coursework in addition to earning 15 credit hours of electives, of which a minimum of 9 credit hours must be from the School of Education. Students must receive a grade of “C” or better in all courses applied to the certificate program.
Core Courses: Complete a core course for a total of 3 credit hours.
- ED 310 (3): Foundations of Education OR
- ED 350 (3): Developmental Concepts of Learning
Complete 15 credit hours (5 courses) from the following list. A minimum of 9 credit hours (3 courses) must be Education Courses (“ED” Prefix).
The list of elective courses is updated each year; therefore students enrolled within this certificate program should regularly consult with the advisor of the School of Education.The electives are offered by the School of Education and other academic departments as well. Therefore, students may take only Education courses or may combine Education courses with other discipline courses to complete program electives.
Students must complete a minimum of 9 credits from this list.
- ED 210 (3): Introduction to Teaching
- ED 310 (3): Foundations of Education (if not used as a core course)
- ED 341 (4): Literacy Development in the Elementary School
- ED 343 (3): Math for Elementary Teachers
- ED 346 (3): Teaching Children’s Literature
- ED 347 (3): Integrated Science/Social Studies for Elementary Teachers
- ED 350 (3): Development Concepts of Learning (if not used as a core course)
- ED x94 (3): Special Topics in Subject Matter (maximum of 3 credit hours)
- ED x99 (3): Directed Studies (maximum of 3 credit hours)
Students may take a maximum of 6 credits from this list.
- DNCE 419 (3): Dance in Education
- DRAM 419 (3): Drama in Education
- ENG 344/LING 344(3): Children and Language
- ENG 345 (3): Children and Literature
- ENG 482 (3): Teaching Composition
- ENG 484 (3): ESL Materials and Methods
- ENG 492 (3): Teaching Literature
- KES 233 (3): Physical Education: Elementary
- LING 351 (3): Methods: Foreign Language Teaching
- MARE 434 (3): Teaching Marine Science
- MUS 419 (3): Music for Elementary Teachers
- SOC 352 (3): Sociology of Education