School of Education
Jan Zulich, Ph.D.
Department Vice Chair:
Michele Ebersole, Ph.D.
Office: University Classroom Building 313, (808) 974–7582
Clerk Steno: Madeline Sehna
- Jan Zulich, Ph.D.
- Diane Barrett, Ph.D.
- Michele Ebersole, Ph.D.
- Avis Masuda, Ph.D.
- Jan Ray, Ed.D.
Instructor–Field Experience Coordinator:
- Colby McNaughton, M.S.
Junior Specialist/Program Advisor:
- Travis Nakayama, MPA
The UH Hilo School of Education provides pre-service and in-service teachers with high quality, integrated, inquiry-and field-based professional development, serves as a resource to area educators who are meeting the challenges of teaching in a culturally rich, technologically advanced society, and conducts as well as guides action research to expand knowledge of teaching and learning.
The School of Education offers:
- An 18-credit undergraduate Subject Certificate in Educational Studies, which does not lead to teacher licensure, but provides foundational coursework to those who are interested in pursuing education-related careers.
- A 36-credit Master of Arts in Teaching Program (MAT) campus-based (Elementary and Secondary) and web-based formats (Secondary only) which leads to initial licensure in the State of Hawaii.
- Master of Education Program (M.Ed.) for the professional development of in-service teachers.
The UH Hilo School of Education is dedicated to the holistic development of transformational educators who are committed to equity, empowerment, and a critical understanding of our world. The School envisions its future as the heart of a learning community of caring, ethical, and creative people as faculty seek to fulfill the following mission: The purpose of the School of Education is to promote excellence in teaching and learning. The School fosters the professional vitality of reflective, caring educational practitioners who inspire students to recognize and act upon their power to positively transform both local and global communities.
- Pre-Teacher Education Sequence for MAT Admission
- Educational Studies Certificate
- Education (ED) Courses
- Administration of Justice
- Requirements for the B.A. in Biology: Cell and Molecular Track
- Requirements for the B.A. in Biology: Ecology, Evolution and Conservation Track
- Requirements for the B.S. in Biology: Cell and Molecular Track
- Requirements for the B.S. in Biology: Ecology, Evolution and Conservation Track
- Biology Minor
- Biology (BIOL) Courses
- Chinese Studies
- Computer Science
- School of Education
- Engineering Program
- Environmental Studies/Science
- Filipino Studies
- Japanese Studies
- Kinesiology and Exercise Sciences
- Liberal Studies
- Marine Science
- Natural Science
- School of Nursing
- Pacific Islands Studies Certificate
- Performing Arts
- Political Science
- Pre-Pharmacy Program
- Women’s Studies Certificate