Dropping or Withdrawing from a Course

Note: UH Hilo students who wish to withdraw from all UH Hilo classes prior to the beginning of classes may do so over MyUH. Once classes begin, a student cannot withdraw from her/his last or only class at the home institution over MyUH; s/he must contact the Office of the Registrar for assistance. For more information see Complete Withdrawal.

Courses may be “dropped” without academic penalty (without receiving a grade of “W” for the course) during the first three weeks of a regular semester. Students may also withdraw from a course from the beginning of the fourth week of instruction until the end of the eighth week of instruction. However, in this case, students will receive a grade of “W” for each official course withdrawal. Students who simply stop attending classes without withdrawing over MyUH are not officially withdrawn. Those who fail to withdraw officially during the prescribed period risk receiving an “F” for such courses. A student who is considering dropping or withdrawing should refer to Tuition and Fees to understand their financial responsibilities.