18 semester hours
The Geography program also offers a Certificate in Planning. This is an optional program designed to complement the major in Geography. Non-geography majors may pursue the planning certificate with the approval of the department chair. Students accepted into the certificate program are required to obtain at least a C grade in each course.
Group I. (9 semester hours)
- GEOG 340 Principles of Land Use Planning (3)
- GEOG 440 Advanced Environmental Planning (3)
- GEOG 441 Environmental Impact Assessment (3)
Group II. (6 semester hours)
- Two upper-division electives approved by the planning advisor (6 semester hours)
Group III. (3 semester hours)
- GEOG 496 A one-semester internship with a private or public firm or agency (3 semester hours). (3)
The internship normally will be completed in the student’s senior year. Up to two courses in the certificate program also may be counted as Geography major electives. For further details on the planning certificate program, contact any member of the Geography faculty.