Campus and Community Service
Campus Center, Room 316
Tel: (808) 933-1907
The University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo supports a continuum of campus and community service opportunities that promote leadership development and civic engagement.
These opportunities are designed to meet the diverse needs and interests of our students. They benefit from a wide range of programs, services, and activities that address campus, community and civic concerns. Continuum of service opportunities includes:
- One day service events: Make A Difference Day, Good Neighbor Day, World AIDS Day, Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, Read Across America, Beach Clean Ups, and campus pride days.
- Student Service Corps: Students plan, coordinate, implement, and evaluate major programs and events, including Freedom from Hunger, Relay for Life, Sustainability Fair, Break-Thru Adventures, and Fair Trade awareness and advocacy.
- Academic service-learning: Community service is integrated into the students’ course curricula and credit requirements. Faculty are provided with support to develop and/or strengthen service learning courses across disciplines and majors. Students are assisted with community referrals or placements.
- Americorps-Students in Service: Students can earn federal education vouchers for tuition and books. Americorps awards can also be used for loan repayments.
- Careers for the Common Good: Students can explore non-profit service organization careers and life-long service opportunities.
Through a variety of service opportunities, students are able to experience an enhanced learning environment that allows them to connect in-class theory with in-community practice. They become more aware of community needs and resources. They discover their civic duty, as engaged citizens, to address the welfare of others. By participating in this continuum of service, UH Hilo students, staff, and faculty build meaningful and enduring campus relationships and community partnerships.
- Advising Center
- Campus Recreation
- Career Development Services
- Disability Services
- Exchange Programs
- Medical Services and Family Planning Clinic
- International Student Services & Intercultural Education
- Kīpuka Native Hawaiian Student Center
- Minority Access and Achievement Program (MAAP)
- Native Hawaiian Serving Institutions Program (NHSI)
- New Student Programs (NSP)
- Campus and Community Service
- Student Support Services Program (SSSP)
- Student Organizations
- Study Abroad and Exchange Programs
- Upward Bound
- Women's Center