Requirements for the B.S. in Nursing
Group 1. General Education Basic, Area, and Integrative Requirements in effect Fall 2011
Students may choose to graduate under the General Education Basic, Area, and Integrative requirements and graduation requirements in force at the time they entered the UH System, when they entered UH Hilo, or when they graduate, provided there is no break in enrollment lasting longer than one semester.
Students should meet with their academic advisor to ensure that they enroll in courses that will enable them to meet these requirements as well as requirements for the major and for graduation. Some courses may meet both General Education requirements and major requirements.
The new GE basic, core, and integrative requirements and lists of certified courses are posted at hilo.hawaii.edu/academics/gened/.
Group 2. Major Requirements (and Assigned Credits)
Required Pre-Core Courses
- ANTH 100 Cultural Anthropology (3)
- One course in COM at the 100–200-level (3)
- PSY 100 Survey of Psychology (3)
- BIOL 243–243L Human Anatomy and Physiology I with Lab (4)
- BIOL 244–244L Human Anatomy and Physiology II with Lab (4)
- BIOL 275–275L Fundamentals of Microbiology with Lab (4)
- CHEM 141 Survey of Organic Chemistry and Biochemistry (3)
- NURS 203 General Pharmacology (3)
Statistics (Choose one course from the following list:)
- MATH 121 Introduction to Statistics and Probability (3)
- PSY 213 Statistical Techniques (3)
- SOC 280–280L Statistical Reasoning in Social Inquiry with Lab (4)
- BIOL 380 Biostatistics (3)
- PSY 320 Developmental Psychology (3) (see Note 4)
- NURS 348 Human Pathophysiology (3)
- NURS 375 Applied Human Nutrition (3) (see Note 4)
Required Nursing Courses
- NURS 347–347L Health Assessment with Practicum (4)
- NURS 350 Transcultural Care and Health Promotion (3) (see Note 5)
- NURS 351 Professional Nursing Issues and Trends (3)
- NURS 352L Nursing Skills Laboratory (1)
- NURS 353–353L Nursing Concepts and Skills with Practicum (6)
- NURS 355–355L Adult Health Care I with Practicum (6)
- NURS 356–356L Parent-Newborn Health Care with Practicum (6)
- NURS 357–357L Mental Health Care with Practicum (6)
- NURS 358 Nursing Research (3)
- NURS 455–455L Adult Health Care II with Practicum (8)
- NURS 456–456L Parent-Child Health Care with Practicum (6)
- NURS 410–410L Community Health Care with Practicum (5)
- NURS 457–457L Collaborative Health Care Leadership and Management with Practicum (5)
- NURS 459–459L Nursing Review with Practicum (3) (see Note 6)
- Block I:
Required Nursing Electives (Choose 3 Semester Hours from the following courses:)
- NURS 370 Introduction to Trans-cultural Nursing (3)
- NURS 371 Computers and Health Care (3)
- NURS 372 Spirituality in Health Care (3)
- NURS 373 Gerontological Health Care (3)
- NURS 374 Skills in Nursing Leadership & Management (3)
- NURS 394 Special Topics in Nursing (1–3)
- NURS 399 Directed Studies (1–3)
- NURS 471 Introduction to Rural/Home Health Care (3)
- NURS 494 Special Topics in Nursing (1–3)
- NURS 499 Directed Studies (1–3)
Total in Group 2: 107–108 Semester Credits
Total Minimum Semester Hours Required for the B.S. in Nursing
120 Semester Hours
- Students must earn at least a 2.0 GPA in courses required for the major.
- Math 121 Statistics meets the Quantitative Reasoning requirement. The Quantitative Reasoning course must be passed with a “C” grade or better.
- All Natural Science courses must be passed with a “C” grade or better.
- NURS 348 Human Pathophysiology and NURS 375 Applied Human Nutrition both must be passed with a “C” grade or better.
- RN to BSN students replace NURS 459, 459L change to 469 and 469L with NURS 361 and 362.
- Basic students who transfer into the BSN program must complete a minimum of 63 credits of UH Hilo nursing courses. These credits must include NURS 347, 347L, 350, 351, 352L, 353, 353L, 355, 355L, 356, 356L, 357, 357L, 358, 455, 455L, 456, 456L, 410, 410L, 457, 457L, 459, and 459L.
- To earn a Bachelor of Science in Nursing, students must fulfill the requirements for the major and meet all of the University’s other baccalaureate degree requirements. (Please see the Baccalaureate Degree Requirements in this Catalog.)
- Students should always check course prerequisites and the frequency with which courses are offered.
- To ensure progress toward degree completion, students are strongly encouraged to meet with an advisor each semester before registering.