Requirements for the B.S. in Biology: Ecology, Evolution and Conservation Track
Group 1. General Education Basic, Area, and Integrative Requirements in effect Fall 2011
Students may choose to graduate under the General Education Basic, Area, and Integrative requirements and graduation requirements in force at the time they entered the UH System, when they entered UH Hilo, or when they graduate, provided there is no break in enrollment lasting longer than one semester.
Students should meet with their academic advisor to ensure that they enroll in courses that will enable them to meet these requirements as well as requirements for the major and for graduation. Some courses may meet both General Education requirements and major requirements.
The new GE basic, core, and integrative requirements and lists of certified courses are posted at hilo.hawaii.edu/academics/gened/.
Group 2. Major Requirements (and Assigned Credits)
Required courses from Biology
- BIOL 175–175L Introduction to Biology I with Lab (4)
- BIOL 176–176L Introduction to Biology II with Lab (4)
- BIOL 270–270L Intermediate Cell and Molecular Biology with Lab (4)
- BIOL 280 Biostatistics (3)
- BIOL 281–281L General Ecology with Lab (5)
- BIOL 357–357L Evolution with Lab (4)
- BIOL 375–375L Biology of Microorganisms with Lab (4)
- BIOL 381 Conservation Biology (3)
- BIOL 410–410L Biochemistry with Lab (5)
- BIOL 466–466L Genetics with Lab (5)
- BIOL 481–481L Theory and Methods of Ecology and Evolution with Lab (5)
- BIOL 495A–495B Seminar (2 semesters) (2)
Required courses from related fields
- CHEM 124–124L General Chemistry I (4)
- CHEM 125–125L General Chemistry II (4)
- CHEM 241–241L and CHEM 242–242L Organic Chemistry I-II with Lab (8)
- PHYS 170–170L, 171–171L General Physics I-II with Lab (10)
- MATH 205–206 Calculus I-II (8)
- ENG 225 Writing for Science and Technology (3)
Required electives from Biological Sciences (6 semester hours)
- BIOL/MARE 371 Biology of Marine Invertebrates (3)
- BIOL/MARE 371L Biology of Marine Invertebrates Lab (1)
- MARE 372 Biology of Marine Plants (3)
- MARE 372L Biology of Marine Plants Lab (1)
- MARE 444 Biological Oceanography (3)
- BIOL 437/PSY 437 Marine Mammal Behavior (3)
- BIOL 443 Ecological Animal Physiology (3)
- BIOL 445 Behavioral Ecology and Evolution (3)
- BIOL 455 Plant Ecology (3)
- BIOL 460 Plant Diversity and Evolution (3)
- BIOL 467 Ecological Genetics (3)
- BIOL 477 Avian Biology (3)
- BIOL/MARE 484 Biology of Fishes (3)
- BIOL/MARE 484L Biology of Fishes Lab (1)
Group 2 Total: 91 Semester Credits
Total Minimum Semester Credits for the B.S. in Biology: Ecology, Evolution and Conservation Track
120 Semester Credits
Additional Courses Recommended For Specific Plans After Graduation
- Graduate studies in biology: At least two semesters of Directed Studies (BIOL 199, 299, 399, or 499).
- Application to medical, pharmacy, dental, veterinary school or other health-related fields: At least one semester of Directed Studies (BIOL 199, 299, 399, or 499) and participation in volunteer and shadowing experiences in the local medical, pharmacy, dental, or veterinary community as appropriate. As prerequisite courses for professional schools may vary, students should seek advising early in their academic careers to develop an academic plan.
- Careers that may include teaching: one or more semesters of Teaching Assistance and Tutoring in Biology (BIOL 496).
- Careers in environmental biology: a course in geographic information systems (GEOG 480 or GEOL 445).
- BIOL 101 and BIOL 101L are non-major courses and do not count toward the major or minor in Biology.
- Students should begin chemistry courses their freshmen year if they plan to complete their academic program in four years. Chemistry courses are often prerequisites for required biology classes.
- Students must earn a minimum grade of “C-” in all required and prerequisite courses.
- The upper division credits needed for graduation for all degrees in Biology are met in the process of completing these degrees.
- To earn a Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science degree in Biology, students must fulfill the requirements for the major and meet all of the University’s other baccalaureate degree requirements. (Please see the Baccalaureate Degree Requirements in this catalog.)
- Students should always check course prerequisites and the frequency with which courses are offered.
- To ensure progress toward degree completion, students are strongly encouraged to meet with an advisor each semester before registering.
- Students completing the B.S. in Cell and Molecular Biology Track concurrently fulfill the requirements for a minor in Chemistry. (Students may wish to file for a minor in Chemistry.)
- Requirements for the B.A. in Biology: Cell and Molecular Track
- Requirements for the B.A. in Biology: Ecology, Evolution and Conservation Track
- Requirements for the B.S. in Biology: Cell and Molecular Track
- Requirements for the B.S. in Biology: Ecology, Evolution and Conservation Track
- Biology Minor
- Biology (BIOL) Courses