B.S. in Astronomy Requirements
Group 1. General Education Basic, Area, and Integrative Requirements in effect Fall 2011
Students may choose to graduate under the General Education Basic, Area, and Integrative requirements and graduation requirements in force at the time they entered the UH System, when they entered UH Hilo, or when they graduate, provided there is no break in enrollment.
Students should meet with their academic advisor to ensure that they enroll in courses that will enable them to meet these requirements as well as requirements for the major and for graduation. Some courses may meet both General Education requirements and major requirements.
The new GE basic, core, and integrative requirements and lists of certified courses are posted on the General Education website.
Group 2. Major Requirements
Required courses in Astronomy and Physics (47 credits)
- ASTR 110L Gen Astronomy Lab (1)
- ASTR 180 Princ Of Astron I (3)
- ASTR 181 Princ Of Astron II (3)
- ASTR 250-250L Observational Astronomy (3), Observational Astronomy Lab (1)
- ASTR 260 Computational Physics & Astron (3)
- ASTR 350 Stellar Astrophysics (3)
- ASTR 351 Galactic & Extragal Astrophys (3)
- ASTR 495A-495B Seminar (1), Seminar (1)
- PHYS 170-170L Gen Phys I: Mechanics (4), Gen Phys I Lab (1)
- PHYS 171-171L Gen Phys II: Elec & Magnetism (4), Gen Phys II Lab (1)
- PHYS 270 Gen Phys III: Intro Modern Phy (3)
- PHYS 331 Optics (3)
- PHYS 341 Thermodynamics (3)
- and six additional semester hours from Physics or Astronomy numbered 300 or higher, not including ASTR 400 Observatory Internship (1–6)
Required courses in related fields (24 credits)
- CS 150 Intro To Computer Science I (3)
- CHEM 124-125L General Chemistry I (3), Gen Chemistry II Lab (1)
- MATH 205-206 Calculus I (4), Calculus II (4)
- MATH 231-232 Calculus III (3), Calculus IV (3)
- MATH 300 Ordinary Diff Equations (3)
Total Semester Hours Required for the B.S. in Astronomy
120 credits required.
- Students must earn at least a 2.0 GPA in courses required for the major.
- To earn a Bachelor of Science degree in Astronomy, students must fulfill the requirements for the major and meet all of the University’s other baccalaureate degree requirements. (Please see the Baccalaureate Degree Requirements in the Catalog.)
- A 2.0 or better in every required course above in ASTR, PHYS and MATH is required.
- A minimum of 30 upper division semester hours (300-level courses or above) is required.
- Students wishing to make timely progress toward graduation are urged to pay careful attention to all degree requirements.
- In addition, when planning a schedule of courses, it is imperative to be aware of course prerequisites and the frequency with which courses are offered. This information is available in the course listings in this Catalog.
- To ensure progress toward degree completion, students are urged to meet with an advisor each semester before registering.