Requirements for the B.S. in Agriculture: Animal Science—Pre-Veterinary Specialty
Home » Undergraduate Education » College of Agriculture, Forestry, and Natural Resource Management (CAFNRM) » Agriculture: Animal Science—Pre-Veterinary Specialty » Requirements for the B.S. in Agriculture: Animal Science—Pre-Veterinary Specialty
Group 1: General Education Basic, Area, and Integrative Requirements.
Students may choose to graduate under the General Education Basic, Area, and Integrative requirements and graduation requirements in force at the time they entered the UH System, when they entered UH Hilo, or when they graduate, provided there is no break in enrollment.
Students should meet with their academic advisor to ensure that they enroll in courses that will enable them to meet these requirements as well as requirements for the major and for graduation. Some courses may meet both General Education requirements and major requirements.
The new GE basic, core, and integrative requirements and lists of certified courses are posted at hilo.hawaii.edu/academics/gened/.
Group 2. Major Requirements
Agriscience Requirements, 37 hours
- AG 230 Sustainable Agriculture (3)
- AG 375 Introduction to Genetic Analysis or BIOL 466 Genetics (3)
- AG 496 Senior Seminar (1)
- AGBU 110 Introduction to Microcomputing for Agriculture (3)
- ANSC 141 Introduction to Animal Science (3)
- ANSC 244 Fundamentals of Animal Nutrition (3)
- ANSC 321 Feeds and Feeding (3)
- ANSC 350 Anatomy and Physiology of Farm Animals (3)
- ANSC 445 Animal Breeding and Genetics (3)
- ANSC 450 Reproduction of Farm Animals (3)
Choose three courses from the following ANSC courses:
- ANSC 342 Beef Cattle Production (3)
- ANSC 351 Swine Production (3)
- ANSC 353 Horse Production (3)
- ANSC 355 Goat and Sheep Production (3)
Supplemental Requirements, 48 to 49 hours
- BIOL 175-175L Introductory Biology I and Lab (4)
- BIOL 176-176L Introductory Biology II and Lab (4)
- BIOL 275-275L Fundamentals of Microbiology and Lab (4)
- BIOL 280 Biostatistics (3)
- BIOL 410 Biochemistry (3)
- CHEM 124-124L General Chemistry I and Lab (4)
- CHEM 125-125L General Chemistry II and Lab (4)
- CHEM 241-241L Organic Chemistry I and Lab (4)
- CHEM 242-242L Organic Chemistry II and Lab (4)
- ENG 225 Writing for Science and Technology (3)
MATH (Choose one course from the following courses):
- MATH 104 Precalculus Mathematics (4)
- MATH 104F Precalculus I: Functions (3)
- MATH 104G Precalculus II: Trigonometry & Geometry (3)
- MATH 205 Calculus I (4)
- MATH 206 Calculus II (4)
- PHYS 106-170L College Physics I and Lab (4)
- PHYS 107-171L College Physics II and Lab (4)
Total in Group 2: 85–86 semester hours
Group 3. Electives, To be determined
Elective hours will vary depending upon which GE courses are selected by the student.
See your advisor for possible electives to help you qualify for pharmacy and medical programs.
Minimum total credit hours required for the B.S. in Agriculture: Animal Science—Pre-Veterinary Specialty
123 credit hours