Requirements for the B.S. in Agriculture: Animal Science—Livestock Production Specialty
Home » Undergraduate Education » College of Agriculture, Forestry, and Natural Resource Management (CAFNRM) » Agriculture: Animal Science—Livestock Production Specialty » Requirements for the B.S. in Agriculture: Animal Science—Livestock Production Specialty
Group 1: General Education Basic, Area, and Integrative Requirements.
Students may choose to graduate under the General Education Basic, Area, and Integrative requirements and graduation requirements in force at the time they entered the UH System, when they entered UH Hilo, or when they graduate, provided there is no break in enrollment lasting longer than one semester.
Students should meet with their academic advisor to ensure that they enroll in courses that will enable them to meet these requirements as well as requirements for the major and for graduation. Some courses may meet both General Education requirements and major requirements.
The new GE basic, core, and integrative requirements and lists of certified courses are posted at hilo.hawaii.edu/academics/gened/.
Group 2. Major Requirements (and Assigned Credits)
Agriscience Requirements, 52 hours
- AG 230 Sustainable Agriculture (3)
- AG 496 Senior Seminar (1)
- AGBU 110 Introduction to Microcomputing for Agriculture (3)
- AGBU 320 Agribusiness Management or AGEC 330 Farm Management (3)
- AGEN 231 Introduction to Agricultural Mechanization (3)
- AGRN 310 Agronomic Crop Production in the Tropics or AGRN 410 Soil-Plant-Herbivore Interrelations (3)
- ANSC 141 Introduction to Animal Science (3)
- ANSC 244 Fundamentals of Animal Nutrition (3)
- ANSC 321 Feeds and Feeding (3)
- ANSC 350Anatomy and Physiology of Farm Animals (3)
- ANSC 445 Animal Breeding and Genetics (3)
- ANSC 450 Reproduction of Farm Animals (3)
Choose three courses from the following ANSC courses:
- ANSC 342 Beef Cattle Production (3)
- ANSC 351 Swine Production (3)
- ANSC 353 Horse Production (3)
- ANSC 355 Goat and Sheep Production (3)
- ENT 304 General Entomology (3)
- HORT 262 Principles of Horticulture (3)
- SOIL 304 Tropical Soils (3)
Supplemental Requirements, 21 to 23 hours
- BIOL 175-175L Introductory Biology I and Lab (4)
- BIOL 176-176L Introductory Biology II and Lab (4)
Chemistry (Choose one sequence from the following three sequences):
- Sequence 1: CHEM 114-114L Introductory Chemistry and Lab (4), CHEM 141 Survey of Organic Chemistry and Biochemistry (3)
- Sequence 2: CHEM 124-124L General Chemistry I and Lab (4), CHEM 125-125L General Chemistry II and Lab (4)
- Sequence 3: CHEM 124-124L General Chemistry I and Lab (4), CHEM 141 Survey of Organic Chemistry and Biochemistry (3)
- ENG 225 Writing for Science and Technology (3)
MATH (Choose one course from the following courses):
- MATH 104 Precalculus Mathematics (4)
- MATH 104F Precalculus I: Functions (3)
- MATH 104G Precalculus II: Trigonometry & Geometry (3)
- MATH 205 Calculus I (4)
- MATH 206 Calculus II (4)
Total in Group 2: 73-75 semester hours
Group 3. Electives, To be determined
Elective hours will vary depending upon which GE courses are selected by the student.
See your advisor for possible electives.
Minimum total credit hours required for the B.S. in Agriculture: Animal Science—Livestock Production
123 credit hours