Requirements for the B.A. in Sociology
Group 1. General Education Basic, Area, and Integrative Requirements in effect Fall 2011
Students may choose to graduate under the General Education Basic, Area, and Integrative requirements and graduation requirements in force at the time they entered the UH System, when they entered UH Hilo, or when they graduate, provided there is no break in enrollment lasting longer than one semester.
Students should meet with their academic advisor to ensure that they enroll in courses that will enable them to meet these requirements as well as requirements for the major and for graduation. Some courses may meet both General Education requirements and major requirements.
The new GE basic, core, and integrative requirements and lists of certified courses are posted at hilo.hawaii.edu/academics/gened/.
Group 2. Major Requirements (and Assigned Credits)
- SOC 100 Principles of Sociology (3)
- SOC 200 Career Opportunities (1)
- SOC 280–280L Statistical Reasoning in Social Inquiry with Lab (4)
- SOC 380 Methods of Research (3)
- SOC 390 Sociological Theory (3)
- An additional minimum 9 semester hours of 400-level Sociology courses
- An additional 12 semester hours in Sociology at any level
Total in Group 2: 35 Semester Credits
Total Minimum Semester Hours Required for the B.A. in Sociology
120 Semester Hours
- Students must earn at least a 2.0 GPA in courses required for the major.
- At least 45 semester hours must be earned in courses at the 300–400-level.
- To earn a Bachelor of Arts degree in Sociology, students must fulfill the requirements for the major and meet all of the University’s other baccalaureate degree requirements. (Please see the Baccalaureate Degree Requirements in this Catalog.)
- Students should always check course prerequisites and the frequency with which courses are offered.
- To ensure progress toward degree completion, students are strongly encouraged to meet with an advisor each semester before registering.