Requirements for the B.A. in Psychology
Group 1. General Education Basic, Area, and Integrative Requirements
Students may choose to graduate under the General Education Basic, Area, and Integrative requirements and graduation requirements in force at the time they entered the UH System, when they entered UH Hilo, or when they graduate, provided there is no break in enrollment lasting longer than one semester.
Students should meet with their academic advisor to ensure that they enroll in courses that will enable them to meet these requirements as well as requirements for the major and for graduation. Some courses may meet both General Education requirements and major requirements.
The new GE basic, core, and integrative requirements and lists of certified courses are posted at hilo.hawaii.edu/academics/gened/.
Group 2. Major Requirements (and Assigned Credits)
- PSY 100 Survey of Psychology (3)
- PSY 213 Statistical Techniques (4)
- PSY 214 Research Methodology (4)
Block 1. Choose two courses from the following list: (6)
- PSY 320 Developmental Psychology (3)
- PSY 321 Psychology of Personality (3)
- PSY 322 Social Psychology (3)
- PSY 324 Abnormal Psychology (3)
Block 2. Choose two courses from the following list: (6)
- PSY 314 Learning and Motivation (3)
- PSY 315 Sensation and Perception (3)
- PSY 350 Cognitive Psychology (3)
- PSY 352 Introduction to Biopsychology (3)
- An additional minimum 18 semester hours of 300–400-level PSY courses which must include at least 9 semester hours of 400-level courses and no more than 3 semester hours of PSY 399 or 499.
Total in Group 2: 41 Semester Credits
Total Minimum Semester Hours Required for the B.A. in Psychology
120 Semester Hours
- Students must earn at least a 2.0 GPA in courses required for the major.
- Students must pass any course applied to the Psychology major with a grade of “C-” or better.
- At least 45 semester hours must be earned in courses at the 300–400-level.
- To earn a Bachelor of Arts degree in Psychology, students must fulfill the requirements for the major and meet all of the University’s other baccalaureate degree requirements. (Please see the Baccalaureate Degree Requirements in this Catalog.)
- Students should always check course prerequisites and the frequency with which courses are offered.
- To ensure progress toward degree completion, students are strongly encouraged to meet with an advisor each semester before registering.