B.A. in Political Science Requirements
Group 1. General Education Basic, Area, and Integrative Requirements in effect Fall 2011
Students may choose to graduate under the General Education Basic, Area, and Integrative requirements and graduation requirements in force at the time they entered the UH System, when they entered UH Hilo, or when they graduate, provided there is no break in enrollment lasting longer than one semester.
Students should meet with their academic advisor to ensure that they enroll in courses that will enable them to meet these requirements as well as requirements for the major and for graduation. Some courses may meet both General Education requirements and major requirements.
The new GE basic, core, and integrative requirements and lists of certified courses are posted at hilo.hawaii.edu/academics/gened/.
Group 2. Major Requirements (and Assigned Credits)
- POLS 101 Am Politics: National (3) or POLS 101G: Am Politics: National Citizenship (3)
- POLS 201 Introduction to Political Theory (3)
- POLS 220 Introduction to Legal Systems (3)
- POLS 242 Introduction to World Politics (3)
- POLS 251 Introduction to Comparative Politics (3)
- POLS 280 Methods of Research (3)
- POLS 470S Seminar in Political Science (3)
- An additional 15 semester hours of POLS courses (300-level or above) (15)
Total in Group 2: 36 Semester Credits
Total Minimum Semester Hours Required for the B.A. in Political Science
120 Semester Hours
- Students must earn at least a 2.0 GPA in courses required for the major.
- At least 45 semester hours must be earned in courses at the 300–400-level.
- To earn a Bachelor of Arts degree in Political Science, students must fulfill the requirements for the major and meet all of the University’s other baccalaureate degree requirements. (Please see the Baccalaureate Degree Requirements in this Catalog.)
- Students should always check course prerequisites and the frequency with which courses are offered.
- To ensure progress toward degree completion, students are strongly encouraged to meet with an advisor each semester before registering.