B.A. in Political Science Requirements
Group 1. General Education Foundation, Diversification, Structural, and Integrative Requirements in effect Fall 2018
Students may choose to graduate under the General Education Foundation, Diversification, Structural and Integrative requirements and graduation requirements in force at the time they entered the UH System, when they entered UH Hilo, or when they graduate, provided there is no break in enrollment.
Students should meet with their academic advisor to ensure that they enroll in courses that will enable them to meet these requirements as well as requirements for the major and for graduation. Some courses may meet both General Education requirements and major requirements.
The new GE foundations, diversification, structural and integrative requirements and lists of certified courses are posted on the General Education website.
Group 2. Major Requirements and Assigned Credits (36 credits)
- One course in Foundations (3) choose from:
- POLS 100 Curr Events, Careers, Politics (3)
- POLS 101 Am Politics: National (3)
- POLS 101G Am Politics: Ntl Citizenship (3)
- POLS 280
- One course in Comparative Politics (3) choose from:
- POLS 251 Intro to Comparative Politics (3)
- POLS 351 Politics Of China (3)
- POLS 353 Politics Of Japan (3)
- POLS 357 Politics of the Pacific Rim (3)
- One course in Political Theory (3) choose from:
- POLS 300 Hist Poli Thought: Anc To Mod (3)
- POLS 303 Feminist Political Theory (3)
- POLS 304 Liberalism and Globalism (3)
- POLS 402 Contemporary Political Thought (3)
- One course in International Relations (3) choose from:
- POLS 242 Intro To World Politics (3)
- POLS 342 International Law (3)
- POLS 343 Int'l Conflict Management (3)
- POLS 346 International Organizations (3)
- POLS 348 International Human Rights (3)
- One course in Public Law (3) choose from:
- POLS 220 Intro to Law and Legality (3)
- POLS 321 Constitutional Law (3)
- POLS 325 Legal Geography (3)
- POLS 327 Law and Identity (3)
- POLS 328 Rights (3)
- POLS 428 First Amendment (3)
- One course in American Politics (3) choose from:
- POLS 331 Presidency And Congress (3)
- POLS 332 Politics Of Race & Gender (3)
- POLS 334 Pol Bvr, Campaigns & Elections (3)
- POLS 335 Envir Politics & Policy (3)
- POLS 338 Public Policy Process (3)
- POLS 360 Public Administration (3)
- POLS 433 Politics, Media & Public Opin (3)
- Four electives of POLS courses at the 300- or 400-level (12)
- POLS 470S Seminar in Political Science (3)
Total Semester Hours Required for the B.A. in Political Science
120 credits required.
- Students must earn at least a 2.0 GPA in courses required for the major.
- At least 45 credits must be earned in courses at the 300- or 400-level.
- To earn a Bachelor of Arts degree in Political Science, students must fulfill the requirements for the major and meet all of the University’s other baccalaureate degree requirements. (Please see the Baccalaureate Degree Requirements in this Catalog.)
- Students wishing to make timely progress toward graduation are urged to pay careful attention to all degree requirements.
- In addition, when planning a schedule of courses, it is imperative to be aware of course prerequisites and the frequency with which courses are offered. This information is available in the course listings in this Catalog.
- To ensure progress toward degree completion, students are urged to meet with an advisor each semester before registering.