B.A. in Philosophy Requirements
Group 1. General Education Basic, Area, and Integrative Requirements
Students may choose to graduate under the General Education Basic, Area, and Integrative requirements and graduation requirements in force at the time they entered the UH System, when they entered UH Hilo, or when they graduate, provided there is no break in enrollment lasting longer than one semester.
Students should meet with their academic advisor to ensure that they enroll in courses that will enable them to meet these requirements as well as requirements for the major and for graduation. Some courses may meet both General Education requirements and major requirements.
The new GE basic, core, and integrative requirements and lists of certified courses are posted at hilo.hawaii.edu/academics/gened/.
Group 2. Major Requirements (and Assigned Credits)
- PHIL 209 Reasoning (3) or PHIL 345 Symbolic Logic (3)
- PHIL 211 History of Ancient Philosophy (3)
- PHIL 213 History of Modern Philosophy (3)
- PHIL 230 Belief, Knowledge and Truth (3)
- PHIL 310 Metaphysics (3)
- PHIL 315 Ethical Theory (3)
- And an additional four 300–400-level courses in Philosophy, one of which must be a course in Asian/Comparative Philosophy
Total in Group 2: 30 Semester Credits
Total Semester Hours Required for the B.A. in Philosophy
120 Semester Hours
- Students must earn at least a 2.0 GPA in courses required for the major.
- The B.A. in Philosophy requires a total of 45 semester hours of 300-/400-level course work.
- To earn a Bachelor of Arts degree in Philosophy, students must fulfill the requirements for the major and meet all of the University’s other baccalaureate degree requirements. (Please see the Baccalaureate Degree Requirements in this Catalog.)
- Students should always check course prerequisites and the frequency with which courses are offered.
- To ensure progress toward degree completion, students are strongly encouraged to meet with an advisor each semester before registering.