B.A. in Linguistics Requirements
Home » Undergraduate Education » Ka Haka ʻUla o Keʻelikōlani College of Hawaiian Language Undergraduate Programs » Linguistics Program » B.A. in Linguistics Requirements
Group 1. General Education Basic, Area, and Integrative Requirements in effect Fall 2011
Students may choose to graduate under the General Education Basic, Area, and Integrative requirements and graduation requirements in force at the time they entered the UH System, when they entered UH Hilo, or when they graduate, provided there is no break in enrollment lasting longer than one semester.
Students should meet with their academic advisor to ensure that they enroll in courses that will enable them to meet these requirements as well as requirements for the major and for graduation. Some courses may meet both General Education requirements and major requirements.
The new GE basic, core, and integrative requirements and lists of certified courses are posted at hilo.hawaii.edu/academics/gened/.
Group 2. Major Requirements (and Assigned Credits)
- LING 102 Introduction to Linguistics (3)
- LING 311 Phonology (3)
- LING 321 Morphology and Syntax (3)
- LING 345 Historical and Comparative Linguistics (3)
An additional 3 semester hours in one Structural/Grammar Course selected from: (3)
- ENG 324 Modern English Grammar and Usage
- JPNS 452 Structure of Japanese
- HAW 454 Hawaiian Morphology and Syntax
An additional 3 semester hours in one Comparative/Historical Linguistics Course selected from: (3)
- ENG/ANTH 347 Pidgins and Creoles
- JPNS 451 Structure of Japanese
- HAW 455 Hawaiian: A Polynesian Language
An additional 3 semester hours in one Applied/Social Linguistics Course selected from: (3)
- ANTH 331 Language in Culture and Society
- ENG 344 Children and Language
- LING 351 Methodology of Foreign Language Teaching
- Nine additional semester hours in Linguistics, six of which must be at the 300-level or above (9)
- Two years of study of a language other than English, divided between a non-Indo-European language and an Indo-European language, as approved in consultation with a faculty advisor. Courses in the student’s native language are excepted.
Total Minimum Semester Hours Required for the B.A. in Linguistics
120 Semester Hours
- Students must earn at least a 2.0 GPA in courses required for the major.
- At least 45 semester hours must be earned in courses at the 300–400-level.
- To earn a Bachelor of Arts degree in Linguistics, students must fulfill the requirements for the major and meet all of the University’s other baccalaureate degree requirements. (Please see the Baccalaureate Degree Requirements in this Catalog.)
- Students should always check course prerequisites and the frequency with which courses are offered.
- To ensure progress toward degree completion, students are strongly encouraged to meet with an advisor each semester before registering.