B.A. in Geology Requirements
Group 1. General Education Basic, Area, and Integrative Requirements in effect Fall 2011
Students may choose to graduate under the General Education Basic, Area, and Integrative requirements and graduation requirements in force at the time they entered the UH System, when they entered UH Hilo, or when they graduate, provided there is no break in enrollment.
Students should meet with their academic advisor to ensure that they enroll in courses that will enable them to meet these requirements as well as requirements for the major and for graduation. Some courses may meet both General Education requirements and major requirements.
The new GE basic, core, and integrative requirements and lists of certified courses are posted on the General Education website.
Group 2. Major Requirements and Assigned Credits (56-58 credits)
- GEOL 111-111L Understanding the Earth (3), Understanding the Earth Lab (1)
- GEOL 112-112L Hist of the Earth & Its Life (3), History of the Earth Lab (1)
- GEOL 212 Earth Materials I: Minerals (4)
- GEOL 320 Erth Mat II: Igneous/Meta Rock (4)
- GEOL 495A-495B Seminar (1), Seminar (1)
- ASTR 180 Princ Of Astron I (3)
- CHEM 114-114L Intro Chemistry (3), Intro Chem Lab (1) 1
- MATH 115 Applied Calculus (3) 2
- PHYS 106-170L College Physics I (3), Gen Phys I Lab (1) 3
- Two courses from the following list: (6-8)
- GEOL 330 Deformation of the Earth (4)
- GEOL 340 Sedimentary Processes (4)
- GEOL 342 Earth Surface Processes (3)
- GEOL 370 Field Methods (3)
- Six additional 300- or 400-level GEOL courses, Up to two of the six courses may be substituted from
- GEOG 300 Climatology (3)
- GEOG 319 Nat Hazards/Disasters (3)
- GEOG 470 Remote Sensing/Air Photo (3)
- MARE 360 Marine Resources (3)
- MARE 425 Chemical Oceanography (3)
- MARE 461 Geological Oceanography (3)
- SOIL 304 Tropical Soils (3)
Total Semester Hours Required for the B.A. in Geology
- Students must earn at least a 2.0 GPA in courses required for the major.
- All courses in Group 2, Major Requirements, must be completed with a grade of “C” or better.
- At least 36 semester hours must be earned in courses numbered 300–400.
- To earn a Bachelor of Arts degree in Geology, students must fulfill the requirements for the major and meet all of the University’s other baccalaureate degree requirements. (Please see the Baccalaurate Degree Requirements in this catalog.
- Students wishing to make timely progress toward graduation are urged to pay careful attention to all degree requirements.
- In addition, when planning a schedule of courses, it is imperative to be aware of course prerequisites and the frequency with which courses are offered. This information is available in the course listings in this Catalog.
- To ensure progress toward degree completion, students are urged to meet with an advisor each semester before registering.