B.A. in Geology Requirements
Group 1. General Education Basic, Area, and Integrative Requirements in effect Fall 2011
Students may choose to graduate under the General Education Basic, Area, and Integrative requirements and graduation requirements in force at the time they entered the UH System, when they entered UH Hilo, or when they graduate, provided there is no break in enrollment lasting longer than one semester.
Students should meet with their academic advisor to ensure that they enroll in courses that will enable them to meet these requirements as well as requirements for the major and for graduation. Some courses may meet both General Education requirements and major requirements.
The new GE basic, core, and integrative requirements and lists of certified courses are posted at hilo.hawaii.edu/academics/gened/.
Group 2. Major Requirements (and Assigned Credits)
- GEOL 111–111L Understanding the Earth with Lab (4)
- GEOL 112–112L History of the Earth and Its Life with Lab (4)
- GEOL 212 Earth Materials I: Minerals (4)
- GEOL 320 Earth Material II: Igneous/Metamorphic Rocks (4)
- GEOL 495A–495B Seminar (2 semesters) (2)
- ASTR 180 Principles of Astronomy I (3) or MARE 201 Oceanography (3)
- CHEM 114–114L Introductory Chemistry (4) (See Note 3 below)
- MATH 115 Applied Calculus (3) (See Note 5 below)
- PHYS 106–170L College Physics I with Lab (4) (See Note 4 below)
Two courses from the following list: (6-8)
- GEOL 330 Deformation of the Earth (4)
- GEOL 340 Sedimentary Processes (4)
- GEOL 342 Earth Surface Processes (3)
- GEOL 370 Field Methods (3)
- Six additional 300–400-level GEOL courses (Up to two of the six courses may be substituted from GEOG 300, 319, 470, MARE 360, 425, 461, and SOIL 304.) (18)
Total in Group 2: 56-58
Total Minimum Semester Hours Required for the B.A. in Geology
120 Semester Hours
- All courses in Group 2, Major Requirements, must be completed with a grade of “C” or better.
- At least 36 semester hours must be earned in courses numbered 300–400.
- CHEM 124–124L may substitute for CHEM 114–114L.
- PHYS 170 may substitute for PHYS 106.
- MATH 205 may substitute for MATH 115.
- To earn a Bachelor of Arts degree in Geology, students must fulfill the requirements for the major and meet all of the University’s other baccalaureate degree requirements. (Please see the Baccalaureate Degree Requirements in this Catalog.)
- Students should always check course prerequisites and the frequency with which courses are offered. This information is found in Course Listings in this Catalog.
To ensure progress toward degree completion, students are strongly encouraged to meet with an advisor each semester before registering.