B.A. in Geography Requirements
Group 1. General Education Basic, Area, and Integrative Requirements
[Students may choose to graduate under the General Education Basic, Area, and Integrative requirements and graduation requirements in force at the time they entered the UH System, when they entered UH Hilo, or when they graduate, provided there is no break in enrollment lasting longer than one semester.
Students should meet with their academic advisor to ensure that they enroll in courses that will enable them to meet these requirements as well as requirements for the major and for graduation. Some courses may meet both General Education requirements and major requirements.
The new GE basic, core, and integrative requirements and lists of certified courses are posted at hilo.hawaii.edu/academics/gened/.
Group 2. Major Requirements (and Assigned Credits)
- GEOG 101 Geography and the Natural Environment (3) or ENSC 100 Introduction to Environmental Studies (3)
- GEOG 103 Geography and Contemporary Society (3) or GEOG 102 World Regional Geography (3)
- GEOG 201 Interpretation of Geographic Data (3)
- GEOG 280 Quantitative Methods in Geography (3) or Equivalent Statistics Course (3)
- GEOG 495 Senior Seminar or GEOG 490 Senior Thesis (3)
Physical Geography: two courses from the following list of three-credit courses: (6)
- GEOG 300 Climatology (3)
- GEOG 301 Global Warming/ Climate Change (3)
- GEOG 309 Biogeography (3)
- GEOG 319 Natural Hazards and Disasters (3)
- GEOG 320 Earth Surface Processes (3)
- GEOL 360 Surface Water (3)
- GEOG 409 Landscape Ecology (3)
- GEOL 460 Groundwater (3)
- ENSC 457/BIOL 457 Vegetation of Hawai`i
- GEOG 494 Special Topics
GIS and Spatial Techniques: two courses from the following list of three-credit courses: (6)
- CS 150 Introduction to Computer Science 1 (3)
- GEOG 385 Field Methods in Geography and Environmental Science (3)
- GEOG 470 Remote Sensing and Air Photo Interpretation (3)
- GEOG 480 Geographic Information Systems and Visualization (3)
- GEOG 481 Advanced Geo-spatial Techniques (3)
- GEOG 488 Advanced Geostatistics (3)
- GEOG 494 Special Topics (3)
Human Geography and Planning: two courses from the following list of three-credit courses: (6)
- GEOG 107 Hawai`i in the Pacific (3)
- GEOG 305 Themes in Regional Geography (3)
- GEOG 312 Food and Societies (3)
- GEOG 328 Cultural Geography (3)
- GEOG 321 Geography of Economic Activity (3)
- GEOG 325 Legal Geography (3)
- GEOG 326 Natural Resources (3)
- GEOG 329 Development Geographies (3)
- GEOG 331 Tourism Geographies (3)
- GEOG 332 Geography of Hawai`i (3)
- GEOG 335 Geography of Oceania (3)
- GEOG 340 Introduction to Land Use Planning (3)
- GEOG 382 Qualitative Research Methods in Geography (3)
- GEOG 387 Literature of the Environment (3)
- GEOG 430 Gender, Place, and Environment (3)
- GEOG 435 Senior Seminar in Pacific Studies (3)
- GEOG 436 Environmental Politics in the Pacific (3)
- GEOG 441 Environmental Impact Assessment (3)
- GEOG 494 Special Topics (3)
- GEOG 496 Planning Internship (3)
- Area of Specialization: Choose three additional 300–400-level courses from above areas (9). Two of those courses must be within the same area of specialization.
45 Semester Hours
Minimum total semester credits required for the B.A. in Geography
120 semester credits
- Where appropriate, and with the approval of the Geography chairperson, one Special Topics course (GEOG 494) may be substituted for a course under Blocks I or II.
- Students must earn at least a 2.0 GPA in courses required for the major.
- At least 45 semester hours must be earned in courses at the 300–400-level.
- To earn a Bachelor of Arts degree in Geography, students must fulfill the requirements for the major and meet all of the University’s other baccalaureate degree requirements. (Please see the Baccalaureate Degree Requirements in this Catalog.)
- Students should always check course prerequisites and the frequency with which courses are offered.
To ensure progress toward degree completion, students are strongly encouraged to meet with an advisor each semester before registering.
Revised 06/30/2014 ckw