B.A. in Geography Requirements
Group 1. General Education Basic, Area, and Integrative Requirements
[Students may choose to graduate under the General Education Basic, Area, and Integrative requirements and graduation requirements in force at the time they entered the UH System, when they entered UH Hilo, or when they graduate, provided there is no break in enrollment lasting longer than one semester.
Students should meet with their academic advisor to ensure that they enroll in courses that will enable them to meet these requirements as well as requirements for the major and for graduation. Some courses may meet both General Education requirements and major requirements.
The new GE basic, core, and integrative requirements and lists of certified courses are posted at hilo.hawaii.edu/academics/gened/.
Group 2. Major Requirements (and Assigned Credits)
- GEOG 101 Geography and the Natural Environment (3)
- GEOG 103 Geography and Contemporary Society (3)
- GEOG 201 Interpretation of Geographic Data (3)
- GEOG 321 Geography of Economic Activity (3)
- GEOG 328 Cultural Geography (3)
- GEOG 380 Quantitative Methods in Geography or Equivalent Statistics Course (3)
- ENG 215 Writing for Humanities and Social Sciences (3) or ENG 225 Writing for Science and Technology (3)
Block I. Physical Geography: two courses from the following list of three-credit courses: (6)
- GEOG 300 Climatology (3)
- GEOG 309 Biogeography (3)
- GEOG 319 Natural Hazards and Disasters (3)
- GEOG 320 Earth Surface Processes (3)
- GEOG 409 Landscape Ecology (3)
Block II. Analytical Techniques: one course from the following list of three-credit courses: (3)
- GEOG 385 Field Methods in Geography and Environmental Science (3)
- GEOG 441 Environmental Impact Assessment (3)
- GEOG 470 Remote Sensing and Air Photo Interpretation (3)
- GEOG 480 Geographic Information Systems and Visualization (3)
- GEOG 481 Advanced Geo-spatial Techniques (3)
Block III. Culminating Experience: one course from the following list of courses: (3)
- GEOG 490 Senior Thesis (3)
- GEOG 495 Senior Seminar (3)
- Four additional 300–400-level course in Geography (12)
Total in Group 2: 45 Semester Hours
Minimum total semester credits required for the B.A. in Geography
120 semester credits
- Where appropriate, and with the approval of the Geography chairperson, one Special Topics course (GEOG 494) may be substituted for a course under Blocks I or II.
- Students must earn at least a 2.0 GPA in courses required for the major.
- At least 45 semester hours must be earned in courses at the 300–400-level.
- To earn a Bachelor of Arts degree in Geography, students must fulfill the requirements for the major and meet all of the University’s other baccalaureate degree requirements. (Please see the Baccalaureate Degree Requirements in this Catalog.)
- Students should always check course prerequisites and the frequency with which courses are offered.
To ensure progress toward degree completion, students are strongly encouraged to meet with an advisor each semester before registering.