B.A. in Chemistry: Health Sciences Requirements
Group 1. General Education Basic, Area, and Integrative Requirements.
[Students may choose to graduate under the General Education Basic, Area, and Integrative requirements and graduation requirements in force at the time they entered the UH System, when they entered UH Hilo, or when they graduate, provided there is no break in enrollment lasting longer than one semester.
Students should meet with their academic advisor to ensure that they enroll in courses that will enable them to meet these requirements as well as requirements for the major and for graduation. Some courses may meet both General Education requirements and major requirements.
The new GE basic, core, and integrative requirements and lists of certified courses are posted at hilo.hawaii.edu/academics/gened/.
Group 2. Major Requirements (and Assigned Credits)
Required courses from Chemistry
- CHEM 124–124L Chemistry I with Lab (4)
- CHEM 125–125L Chemistry II with Lab (4)
- CHEM 241–241L and 242–242L Organic Chemistry with Lab (8)
- CHEM 320 Descriptive Inorganic Chemistry (3)
- CHEM 333 Quantitative Analysis with Lab (5)
- CHEM 350–350L Physical Chemistry for the Life Sciences with Lab (5)
- CHEM 431–431L Instrumental Analysis with Lab (4)
- CHEM 495A–495B Seminar (2 semesters) (2)
- and a minimum of three additional hours in CHEM courses above the 200-level. CHEM 341 (Qualitative Organic Analysis) or CHEM 441 (Intermediate Organic Chemistry) is recommended. (3)
Required courses from related fields
- MATH 205 Calculus I (4)
- MATH 206 Calculus II (4)
- PHYS 106–170L College Physics I with Lab (4) or PHYS 170–170L Gen Phys I: Mechanics with Lab (5)
- PHYS 107–171L College Physics II with Lab (4) or PHYS 171–171L Gen Phys II: Elec & Magnetism with Lab (5)
- BIOL 175–175L Introductory Biology with Lab (4)
- BIOL 243–243L Human Anatomy and Physiology I with Lab (4)
- BIOL 244–244L Human Anatomy and Physiology II with Lab (4)
- BIOL 270 Intermediate Cell and Molecular Biology (3)
- BIOL 410 Biochemistry (3)
- BIOL 466 Genetics (3)
Group 2 Total: 75–77 Semester Credits
Minimum total semester credits required for the BA in Chemistry
120 semester credits
Additional recommended courses include
- Eight semester hours of a foreign language (French, Spanish, or Japanese)
- ENG 225 (Writing for Science and Technology)
- MATH 300 (Ordinary Differential Equations)
- MATH 311 (Introduction to Linear Algebra)
- Students must earn at least a 2.0 GPA in courses required for the major.
- Physical Chemistry majors must take at least 21 upper division credits (courses 300 or above); Health Sciences Chemistry majors must take at least 24 upper division credits (courses 300 or above).
- To earn a Bachelor of Arts in Chemistry, students must fulfill the requirements for the major and meet all of the University’s other baccalaureate degree requirements. (Please see the Baccalaureate Degree Requirements in this Catalog.)
- Students should always check course prerequisites and the frequency with which courses are offered.
To ensure progress toward degree completion, students are strongly encouraged to meet with an advisor each semester before registering.