Requirements for the B.A. in Art
Group 1. General Education Basic, Area, and Integrative Requirements.
Students may choose to graduate under the General Education Basic, Area, and Integrative requirements and graduation requirements in force at the time they entered the UH System, when they entered UH Hilo, or when they graduate, provided there is no break in enrollment lasting longer than one semester.
Students should meet with their academic advisor to ensure that they enroll in courses that will enable them to meet these requirements as well as requirements for the major and for graduation. Some courses may meet both General Education requirements and major requirements.
The new GE basic, core, and integrative requirements and lists of certified courses are posted at hilo.hawaii.edu/academics/gened/.
Group 2. Major Requirements (and Assigned Credits)
- ART 101 Introduction to Visual Arts (3)
Foundation Studio Program (12)
- ART 121 FP Studio: Beginning Drawing
- ART 122 FP Studio: Beginning Painting
- ART 123 FP Studio: 2-Dimensional Design
- ART 124 FP Studio: 3-Dimensional Design
Art History (6)
- ART 270 Aspects of Western Art
- ART 280 Aspects of Asian Art
And 6 additional credits from the following 3-credit courses (6)
- ART 360 Renaissance and Baroque
- ART 370 Modern Art
- ART 375 Christianity and the Arts
- ART 380 Art of China
- ART 381 Art of Japan
- ART 385 Religious Arts of East Asia
- ART 390 Seminar in Contemporary Art
Studio Specialization(18 credits including 6 credits in upper division courses in drawing, painting, and printmaking from the following 3-credit studio courses.) Students are encouraged to participate in all three areas of studio art. ART 221 and upper division studio courses are repeatable for credit. (18)
- ART 221 Intermediate Drawing
- ART 321 Advanced Drawing
- ART 222 Intermediate Painting
- ART 322 Advanced Painting
- ART 215 Printmaking: Intaglio
- ART 216 Printmaking: Lithography
- ART 315 Advanced Printmaking: Intaglio
- ART 316 Advanced Printmaking Seminar
Group 2 Total: 45 semester credits
Total Semester Hours Required for the B.A. in Art
120 Semester Hours
- Students must earn at least a 2.0 GPA in courses required for the major.
- The B.A. in Art requires a total of only 30 credits of 300-/400-level course work because of the number of 100-/200-level courses required in the major.
- Check the prerequisites for your major course requirements so you can select lower division courses more efficiently. This information is found in the Course Listings in this Catalog.
- The Foundation Studio Program requirements of 12 credits and ART 101 should be completed, if possible, during the first two years of study. Juniors and seniors pursue individual art work through their sequence of studio courses.
- Students are encouraged to develop a portfolio of their work.
- To earn a Bachelor of Arts degree in Art, students must fulfill the requirements for the major and meet all of the University’s other baccalaureate degree requirements. (Please see the Baccalaureate Degree Requirements in this Catalog.)
- To ensure progress toward degree completion, students are strongly encouraged to meet with an advisor each semester before registering.