Requirements for the B.A. in Anthropology
Group 1. General Education Basic, Area, and Integrative Requirements in effect Fall 2011
Students may choose to graduate under the General Education Basic, Area, and Integrative requirements and graduation requirements in force at the time they entered the UH System, when they entered UH Hilo, or when they graduate, provided there is no break in enrollment lasting longer than one semester.
Students should meet with their academic advisor to ensure that they enroll in courses that will enable them to meet these requirements as well as requirements for the major and for graduation. Some courses may meet both General Education requirements and major requirements.
The new GE basic, core, and integrative requirements and lists of certified courses are posted at hilo.hawaii.edu/academics/gened/.
Group 2. Major Requirements (and Assigned Credits)
Introductory Courses (12)
- ANTH 100 Cultural Anthropology
- ANTH 110 Archaeology
- ANTH 115 Human Evolution
- ANTH 121/LING 121 Introduction to Language
An additional 21 semester hours, of which 12 or more must be at the 300-level or above including:
- ANTH 475 History of Anthropological Theory
and one or more ANTH methods course from:
- ANTH 445 Ethnographic Field Techniques
- ANTH 447 Marine Anthropology: Fishers in Oceania
- ANTH 450 Physical Anthropology Laboratory
- ANTH 470 Museology
- ANTH 481 Archaeometry
- ANTH 482 Archaeological Research Methods
- ANTH 484 Stone Tool Analysis
- ANTH 485 Applied Anthropology
Group 2 Total: 33 Semester Credits
Total Semester Hours Required For The B.A. in Anthropology
120 Semester Credits
- Students may demonstrate proficiency at the 100-level in archaeology, physical anthropology, cultural anthropology, and linguistics in place of taking the required introductory anthropology course. Consult an advisor for other courses that allow students to demonstrate proficiency in these areas.
- With the approval of the advisor, 6 semester hours of the required 21 additional hours of the major may be from other disciplines. Typically, this option is applied to transfer credits from anthropology-related programs (e.g. Indigenous Studies, Ethnic Studies). It is not applied typically to regularly-listed UH Hilo classes not already cross-listed.
- Students must earn at least a 2.0 GPA in courses required for the major.
- At least 45 semester hours must be earned in courses at the 300–400-level.
- To earn a Bachelor of Arts degree in Anthropology, students must fulfill the requirements for the major and meet all of the University’s other baccalaureate degree requirements. (Please see the Baccalaureate Degree Requirements in this Catalog.)
- Students should always check course prerequisites and the frequency with which courses are offered. This information is found in the Course Listings in this Catalog.
To ensure progress toward degree completion, students are strongly encouraged to meet with an advisor each semester before registering.