Agriculture: Animal Science—Livestock Production Specialty
Home » Undergraduate Education » College of Agriculture, Forestry, and Natural Resource Management (CAFNRM) » Agriculture: Animal Science—Livestock Production Specialty
Contact: Erik Cleveland, (808) 932-7034, firstname.lastname@example.org and Chris Lu, (808) 932-7160, email@example.com
College of Agriculture, Forestry, and Natural Resource Management
College Office Tel: (808) 932-7038
This track of study provides students with a variety of animal science courses as well as important courses in agriculture so that they will be better qualified for the job market. The purpose of this program is to prepare students to work with livestock on farms and ranches or to obtain positions in the livestock industry or related fields.
Former students have taken positions at livestock farms, dairies, ranches, equestrian centers, experiment stations, quarantine stations, veterinary clinics, and zoos. Employment opportunities also exist with government agencies and with livestock and feed companies.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Students will achieve a working knowledge of biology, chemistry, and mathematics as a foundation for further studies.
- Students will achieve a basic understanding in the different animal science disciplines and be able to apply this knowledge to effectively manage and care for livestock.
- Students will have experiential learning opportunities with farm animals through routine hands-on laboratories held at the UH Hilo Agricultural Farm Laboratory. When available, field trips to local farms and ranches will also provide learning opportunities with farm animals. Students will gain hands-on experience with livestock to help enhance their competitiveness in future studies and careers.
- Students will use and refine their communication skills in various classes.
- Students will develop and apply their computer skills to agricultural examples.
- Agriculture: Animal Science—Livestock Production Specialty
- Agriculture: Animal Science—Pre-Veterinary Specialty
- Agriculture: Aquaculture Specialty
- Agriculture: Tropical Horticulture Specialty
- Agriculture: Tropical Plant Science and Agroecology Specialty
- Agriculture Minor
- Beekeeping Certificate
- Forest Resource Management and Conservation Certificate
- Plant Tissue Culture Certificate
- Tropical Farming Certificate
- Special Programs
- CAFNRM Courses
- Agriculture (AG) Courses
- Agribusiness (AGBU) Courses
- Agricultural Economics (AGEC) Courses
- Agricultural Engineering (AGEN) Courses
- Agronomy (AGRN) Courses
- Animal Science (ANSC) Courses
- Aquaculture (AQUA) Courses
- Entomology (ENTO) Courses
- Food Science and Technology (FDSC) Courses
- Forestry (FOR) Courses
- Horticulture (HORT) Courses
- Natural Resources (NRES) Courses
- Plant Physiology (PPHY) Courses
- Plant Pathology (PPTH) Courses
- Soil Science (SOIL) Courses