Agriculture: Animal Science—Livestock Production Specialty
College of Agriculture, Forestry & Natural Resource Management (CAFNRM)
Tel: (808) 932-7691
This track of study provides students with a variety of animal science courses as well as important courses in agriculture so that they will be better qualified for the job market. The purpose of this program is to prepare students to work with livestock on farms and ranches or to obtain positions in the livestock industry or related fields.
Former students have taken positions at livestock farms, dairies, ranches, equestrian centers, experiment stations, quarantine stations, veterinary clinics, and zoos. Employment opportunities also exist with government agencies and with livestock and feed companies.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Students will achieve a working knowledge of biology, chemistry, and mathematics as a foundation for further studies.
- Students will achieve a basic understanding in the different animal science disciplines and be able to apply this knowledge to effectively manage and care for livestock.
- Students will have experiential learning opportunities with farm animals through routine hands-on laboratories held at the UH Hilo Agricultural Farm Laboratory. When available, field trips to local farms and ranches will also provide learning opportunities with farm animals. Students will gain hands-on experience with livestock to help enhance their competitiveness in future studies and careers.
- Students will use and refine their communication skills in various classes.
- Students will develop and apply their computer skills to agricultural examples.